Thread: Details wanted for Hurricane Mk1 serial No:P3593 based at Charmy Down/Exeter

Thanks

Default Details wanted for Hurricane Mk1 serial No:P3593 based at Charmy Down/Exeter

Hi. I have very recently researched and published a remarkable story concerning the crash of Hurricane Mk1 serial No:P3593, and piloted by Sgt Pilot Robert T G Stirling from 87 Squadron, on a night fighter patrol off the coast of Guernsey around midnight on 11th April 1941. He took off from Exeter but was based in Charmy Down. I have been given much info from his daughter and the daughter of a man who sheltered Stirling that night in his house before he was taken away as a POW the next morning. I would like to know if it is possible to ascertain his aircraft identifying letter that went with the 'LK' Squadron code, and also if his aircraft was the standard two tone colour scheme or was a black colour scheme? Thank you.

Thanks

Default Re: Details wanted for Hurricane Mk1 serial No:P3593 based at Charmy Down/Exeter

I have the code as "O".

John

Thanks

Default Re: Details wanted for Hurricane Mk1 serial No:P3593 based at Charmy Down/Exeter

Hi John. Thank you for that. I presume that 'O' was his code throughout his time with 87 Squadron? Also would you know if the colour scheme was the standard two one brown/olive ... or all black colour?

Thanks

Hi John. Thank you for that. I presume that 'O' was his code throughout his time with 87 Squadron? Also would you know if the colour scheme was the standard two one brown/olive ... or all black colour?

The BBC read my article I wrote on this Hurricane and pilot story, and posted this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...rnsey-56200207
    Last edited by Timobeanie; 4th March 2021 at 11:16.

Thanks

Hi,

Colours, ooh tricky!
    As I'm sure you've realised by now most of the photos of 87 Sqn Hurricane intruders are of the later MK IIc, particularly the fantastic shots of Charles Brown, and are generally 1942.

However, James Goulding's Camoufage and Markings published 1970, says a few words --

page 71. "87 Sqn started night fighting with their Hurricanes painted in Special Night RDM.2 finish, but this was replaced by smooth Night Finish early in 1942".

page 70. "When Hurricane squadrons commenced operations as night fighters they were usually finished in the following scheme--

Special Night (RDM.2) finish overall, 35in Type A.1 roundels on fuselage sides, 49 in Type B roundels on on upper wing surfaces.50 in Type A under wing roundels
    were used initially, but soon discarded. Medium Sea Grey or Sky Grey code letters approximately 30 in high.
    Standard 24 by 27 in. fin flash. The official requirement was that night fighters should be finished with the same markings as night bombers, but to be painted
    Special Night overall."

There are also generalised comments about overpainting the roundel yellow parts in some units.

HOWEVER in Hurricane Combat the autobiography of W/C Ken Mackenzie there are two photos of 87 Sqn Mk I intruders.

Firstly Mk I P2798 LK-A visiting Colerne 6/2/41. It wears RDM.2 overall with its distinctive worn appearance, but with larger A1 fuselage roundels probably of 49 in diameter. The code letters of grey tone are very large as shown in other 87 Sqn photos of 1940. Underwing roundels probably 30in are at the extreme wingtips.

The second photo shows LK-B again overall RDM.2 but looking freshly done and not at all worn. This has large grey codes but the fuselage roundel is the smaller 35in as listed above.

So without a photo we'll never know but the limited evidence here points maybe to overall black.

The later IIc started with overall black and then appears to have moved towards grey/green topsides so that might suggest that Black was in vogue from the MkI thru to the MK II.
    If you send me an e mail I will try and copy the two photos.

cheers Peter

PS The story made The Times today
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 5th March 2021 at 17:10. Reason: Can't spell

Thanks

Hi Peter

Thank you for the information .. very handy!
    The story made the Daily Mail online, the Mirror, The Glasgow Herald and the Times today -m as you saw.
    It was also filmed for our local ITV news tonight - I will ry to get you the link for that.
    Another film is being made for this shortly.

So I think we can deduce it was black colour ... having looked at RDM.2 .. it seems if I make and paint a model, I should spray it matt black more than satin?
    Also the underwing roundels should have been removed by April '41.

Thank you

Tim