Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Jiwani - 1946 - diplomatic incident - aircraft type?

Thanks

Default RAF Jiwani - 1946 - diplomatic incident - aircraft type?

In March 1946 an RAF aircraft flew from RAF Jiwani in then British India (now Pakistan) to the Dashtiari region, Iran, to pick up an Iranian and fly this person to Jiwani.
    A few days later, the Iranian was flown back to his home country, also by an RAF aircraft.
    This led to some diplomatic correspondence between the respective governments dealing with these unauthorized flights and accusations of arms smuggling.

Pilot of RAF aircraft reportedly was CO of RAF Jiwani, who argued that the flights stemmed from having a cordial relationship with the Iranian person and his family.

My question: what types of RAF aircraft were based at Jiwani at that time to be a good contender for the above flights? I reckon the CO (assuming he was the pilot) flew in a light airplane. No indication found that pilot had other crew along.

Any info welcome, thanks.
    Regards,
    Leendert

Thanks

Default Re: RAF Jiwani - 1946 - diplomatic incident - aircraft type?

Perhaps, Leendert, it might be useful if you could provide the source of your information.

Brian

Thanks

Whole story here: https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/...00517.0x000193

Regards,
    Leendert

Thanks

Hello All,
    Something not quite right with this one!
    Jiwani and Dashtiari are about 64nm apart. I’ve just ”flown” from Jiwani (modern OPJI) to where the 1946 Dashtiari strip would, most likely, have been (about 15nm east of the modern OIZC). Took about 25mins at around 150kts IAS, and 3000ft. No nav problems.
    Malcolm’s RAFWEB reports that the last flying Unit (241 ASR Sqn) left by 8 May 1945. 45 Staging Post was in existence until 1 Aug 1945. Jiwani became part of the new Pakistan on 15 Aug 1947. There is a 2 year gap between these two dates!
    So – was the RAF at Jiwani until when? Did RAF Jiwani retain it’s own Comm Flt – and with what? Did this flight actually take place? Might it just have been in an aircraft with RAF roundels/ident? Who was the CO of RAF Jiwani – that must be recorded in their last ORB? If not – who was the pilot?
    Or was this whole thing one of TASS’ numerous spreadings of disinformation for political purposes. They’ve been at it a long time, and are quite expert!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    Thanks for your views, but correspondence at that time appears to be pretty genuine.

A little pointer that Jiwani was still in use for RAF purposes during 1946 here: https://internationalbcc.co.uk/about...aster-bombers/

Regards,
    Leendert

Thanks

And from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India-...and#Stations:-
    RAF Jiwani, India (2504′04″N 06148′20″E). Former British Imperial Airways airport on Cairo-Karachi route, used by ATC as a refuelling field for ferrying aircraft over Middle East or Central African Route to Karachi. 973 miles (1,566 km). USAAF operations at base ended September 1945.[37 - http://airforcehistoryindex.org/data/000/192/232.xml]. Now Jiwani Airport, Pakistan (IATA: JIW, ICAO: OPJI).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    We're talking RAF here, not USAAF. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ogden in their small Proctor airplane could also use Jiwani airfield during their flight from England to Australia in September 1946.

Also see https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...3-7a7d861c7fa0 which may put some credence in the story.

Records for Jiwani run to October 1946: https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C7158521

Regards,
    Leendert

Thanks

Just for the record that station commanders of RAF Jiwani included Major Bodley (SAAF) and S/L Speedy. No first names known to me.
    As an interesting aside, RAF Jiwani hosted for a little while a flight of Soviet PO-2 aircraft for anti-locust operations.

Regards,
    Leendert

Thanks

Unfortunately my initial question met some disparagement about the use of RAF Jiwani after 1945 so that the 1946 story was none less than a Russian ploy.

I invite subscribers to the British Newspaper Archive to see in the Dundee Courier of 16 Oct 1990 of which a preview:

" ...stationed with me in Pakistan on an emergency airfield named Jiwani in Baluchistan. He was a medical orderly named Cobb involved with me in a trip to Iran in 1948 just across the border from Jiwani and where we were interned for a few days. He was a butcher ..."

And in the Larne Times of 28 April 1949:

"... flight. EXCELLENT TEAM-WORK. There was excellent co-operation from all staging posts, but the pilot singled out R.A.F. Station Jiwani, the Baluchistan coast, for particular praise. Here the Vampire was refuelled, serviced, and away in one hour a wonderful ..."

More examples can be found on the web, of which on bbm.org.uk under Sgt. Harold Sutton:

"In December 1945 he went to HQ 47 Group Hendon and in February 1946 went to India as Engineering Officer at Jiwani. Sutton stayed in the RAF on an extended commission, retiring on 28th November 1953 as a Flight Lieutenant."

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Jawa I was still used as an RAF staging post in 1948 as confirmed in the logbook of a WOP that I have. He was serving with the RAF comms flight at Mauripur which remained in the newly independent state of Pakistan after partition. He was on regular flights from Mauripur to Jiwani and return with passengers and freight (including a 400lb live turtle on one occasion). Hope this clarifies its continued use.

Simon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonG For This Useful Post:

Leendert (16th April 2021)