Thread: Bernard Wheatley RAF - My grandfather

Thanks

Default Bernard Wheatley RAF - My grandfather

I never cease to be amazed by the members of this forum who time after time have come up trumps with information I’ve requested. Well now I have a rather personal request, and that’s information regarding a grandfather I never knew.

When my father was around five years old and living in either Cambridge or the nearby village of Newton, his father Bernard Wheatley upped sticks and left him and his mother. The only information I have about this Bernard Wheatley is that he was a flying instructor in the RAF who survived the war and eventually ended up in the Taunton area of Somerset and died around twenty years ago - I believe of dementia. Following his death my brother did manage to make contact with his then widow who, understandably, was very reluctant to divulge information to a complete stranger. I believe in the end she did send him a photo of a group of individuals - amongst them being Bernard Wheatley, but that was it.
    My grandmother went on to marry a man who we all knew as our grandad, but I would really love to find out a bit more about my natural grandfather.

As you you can imagine any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Default Re: Bernard Wheatley RAF - My grandfather

Robbo,
    Newton is only 6 miles from Cambridge Airport. 22 EFTS was at Cambridge and largely run by Marshal's. Bernard (only Forename?) Wheatley doesn't come up very easily in the usual RAF lists. Many of the Instructors at EFTS' were often actually civilians on the staff of the firms running the EFTS'. You might have to go down this route as well??!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The only likely candidate I can find on Ancestry is

Bernard Ambrose Wheatley b. 10/06/1910 Ipswich, Suffolk d. Jan 1994 Sedgemoor, Somerset, but no trace of that name in AIR78.

Chris

Thanks

There are also more than a dozen "Bernard (no other forename) Wheatley" in FREEBMD between 1894 - 1930-odd and - like Chris - can't find em in AIR 78 or the LG. This is what made me think of Civilian Instructors. In my own 'backyard' the FTS at Theale had many Instructors who were civilians employed by Phillips & Powis (some were, originally, at Woodley).
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

At the risk of asking personal questions, what was your grandmother's name? And when were they married?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Bernard Wheatley and my grandmother never married. She gave birth to my father at only 18 years old, and by all accounts he was a bit of a ladies man and a womaniser. I need to ask my brother to see if he can provide a few more details than might help things along!

Thanks

That's interesting Robbo, thanks for the extra info.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England