Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Great Escape List Accuracy

Thanks

Default Re: The Great Escape List Accuracy

Hello Peter

It's Martial, not Marshal.

According to the ORB, he was a P/O when he forced-landed on Jersey Island.

Several sources gives him the French rank of sous-lieutenant, like Philippe Listemann in his book about No. 131 Squadron. Which is logical, and the exact equivalent of Pilot Officer.

In "Aviateurs de la Liberté", his rank is given as Lieutenant, but I've often seen/heard a sous-lieutenant being called lieutenant, maybe an abusive simplification...

So, like his RAF counterparts, he may have received a promotion from sous-lieutenant to lieutenant during the 18 months or so he was in german custody.

The memoiredeshommes website lists him as a sous-lieutenant at the time of his death :
    https://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.def...hp?ref=1853458

Only by checking his record of service could we be sure of his exact rank in March 1944.

There are often discrepancies between French ranks and R.A.F. ranks as far as Free French are concerned. Same applies to Belgian personnel, as far as I've seen. The double rank (R.A.F. / national) is frequent for the airmen from occupied European countries.

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 6th April 2021 at 18:18.

Thanks

Default Re: The Great Escape List Accuracy

Joss,
    Many thanks for the corrections - much appreciated.
    The rank names and insignia for Allied personnel flying with/for/in the RAF in WW2 is probably a complete study on its own! I had suspected that it was very much as you have described.
    Thanks for your help!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!