Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marylandís in the ME

Thanks

Default Marylandís in the ME

Hello, Forumites
    In the Archives, mention is made of the use of the Maryland in RAF service. Does
    anybody have information (ie Serial Number) on that type of aircraft operated by the Sea Rescue Flight in Egypt
    in 1942?
    Tia
    Andy

Thanks

Default Re: Marylandís in the ME

It is not included in the list of types given for the unit in Air Britain's Flying Training and Support Units, so I suspect will not be noted n the appropriate individual history serials book.

Thanks

Hi, Graham
    Thank you for that. The Appendix to the 294 Squadron ORB includes its anticedent, the SRF. As well as having a few Wellingtons, the SRF also had a Fairchild 91 - HK832, a Grumman Goose - HK822, a Bisley/Blenheim, a Walrus and at least two Maryland’s, coded A and O.
    atb
    Andy
    Last edited by andy wis; 6th April 2021 at 16:30.

Thanks

I have also looked through Flying Units of the RAF and the relevant Air-Britain serial registers without finding mention of any assigned to the Sea Rescue Rescue Flight in Eqypt.

It should be borne in mind that the record cards of aircraft delivered to the Middle East & Far East, etc., often do not show the actual units to which they were assigned.

Your best bet might the records of the unit itself, though it is unlikely these have been digitized for viewing on line.
    Freshman

Thanks

Hello, Freshman
    Thanks for responding. Finding no actual ORB for the SRF, I went to the 294 Sqn ORB listings at the TNA and, low and behold, it included an Appendix which included its former incarnation as being the Sea Rescue Flight, going back to its original formation in 1941. Generally, the Appendix for the SRF (reference, AIR27/1639, 3 separate downloads) is, in practical terms, a Summary of Events for the period up to its status as a squadron.
    There are several instances where the identity/ serial number of the aircraft are stated but, further on, are just referenced by individual aircraft letter - for instance the Maryland’s.......
    Need to carry on digging!!
    atb
    Andy W

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Andy,

There’s an unidentified Maryland photographed at Sidi Barrani on page 9 page of the following document, taken on the same day (Feb 22, 1942) at the same location as the shot of Goose HK822 of the Sea Rescue Flight on page 8. A possible candidate?

http://mmpbooks.biz/B17CC/10.pdf

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 6th April 2021 at 15:06. Reason: Date added

7. The Following User Says Thank You to robstitt For This Useful Post:

andy wis (6th April 2021)

Thanks

Hello, Robert
    A fascinating set of photos. However, I’m not sure of the date given/ place (Feb 22 ‘42). According to the ORB of the Flight, the Goose was at Fuka on that date, and was sent to Aboukir to pick up the new C O of the Flight, S/L Hughes - there was no mention of it being at Sidi Barrani. Also, the aircraft has been “picketed down” as though in for an extended stay.
    Interesting, though, the shot of the Maryland. Again, looking through the ORB, the first reference I have found re the Maryland has it on (official) strength in October 1942, and was a Mk 1
    All very frustrating (but interesting)!!
    atb
    Andy
    Last edited by andy wis; 7th April 2021 at 06:12.

Thanks

Hello Andy:

Can only confirm that Ken Brailsford dates those photos '22-2-42'. His logbook (online document page 7) confirms he was at Sidi Barrani on that date.

Would be interested to know what the code '12' on the nose of the Maryland signifies should you find out.

Robert

Thanks

Hi, again, Robert
    First, an apology. The comment in my post #7 is incorrect; the Grumman movement to Aboukir was on the 9th Feb, a few days after the Unit transferred to LG16 - Fuka Satellite. No Grumman movements were mentioned subsequently...

Interesting that the photo of the Fairchild states in its caption that that aircraft was at Fuka on the 14th. I am wondering if the two photos were taken at the same place/day/time, especially as the shadows under both aircraft are in about the same relative positions. They also look like ďstockĒ, official, photographs.
    Andy

Thanks

Andy:

Brailsford captions the Fairchild image thus: 'Fairchild Amphibian. Fuka Satt. [satellite] 14.2.42'. There is a second image with Brailsford looking out the cockpit window captioned 'K.H.B in the Chair'.

His logbook (online document page 7) confirms he was standing by for operations at Fuka on February 14.

There's a consistency to the aviation and non-aviation images in his two albums that suggests they were taken by or for Brailsford on the same camera. There's no indication of any official photos.

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 7th April 2021 at 20:38. Reason: Satellite added