Thread: Gerald Robert Boak

Thanks

Default Gerald Robert Boak

Does anyone have any information regarding the war service of Gerald Robert Boak. He went on to be the General Secretary of the Royal Air Force Association.
    Alan

Thanks

Default Re: Gerald Robert Boak

Any number of entries in the London Gazette including an m.i.d. in 44. Regards,Terry

Thanks

Alan

A couple of snippets.

The Bradford Observer of November 30th 1946 reported his appointment to General Secretary:

Flight Lieutenant Gerald Robert Boak (34), at present housing manager at Pudsey, has been appointed chief general executive officer of the Royal Air Force Association.
    Flight Lieutenant Boak served in the R.A.F from 1931 to 1936, and was then on reserve. He was recalled in August, 1939. In 1945 he was appointed officer to the Air Disarmament Wing with the Control Commission in Germany.

And from the West Sussex Times, September 16th 1955, which reported his moving to the Sussex area from London:

Mr. Boak became general secretary of R.A.F.A. on his demobilisation in 1946 after serving in Bomber Command, Coastal Command and the second Tactical Air Force. Before the war he was a housing manager.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 7th April 2021 at 09:28. Reason: I can't spell!
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thanks for this: I was under the impression he was a Boakes (no relative either way). I believe I've seen him in a Wrenn cartoon at some time during his service with the RAFA. (From old memory, in an old Aeroplane or Flight. Perhaps it is just a reference by an adjacent cartoon of other officers.)

Thanks

It seems he was a Police Officer in 1937-38, serving in Portsmouth, where he as born, and in Birmingham.

His Police records are on ancestry.co.uk, and give his address as 10 F.T.S. RAF Ternhill, and his trade or occupation as Medical Orderly, R.A.F. He left the police due to 'services dispensed with, Reg 11, not fitted physically.'

A family tree on ancestry.co.uk records that his son was Wing Commander David Christopher Boak.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Thanks for the assistance guys.
    Alan