Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Spitfire Located in Normandy

Thanks

Default Re: Spitfire Located in Normandy

Quote Originally Posted by Normandy-Archaeology View Post
    Does anybody know if there are complete listings of the ‘contract’ numbers.

If so, where can I find them.

A 280002

Thank you

David

I am just moving this question back up the listing. I have found some information which could be useful in helping to identify this Spitfire.

The information is from another blog and explains the link between the A number and contract number.

My question is how do we link the A number to reveal what the contract number would have been...

It reads....

The A-number is unique to the engine and was used across the board. On paper, the engines were built in batches to Air Ministry contracts which had another number, for example, Merlin III, No 19407 / A144641 was one of a batch of 600 built to contract No 974105/38 (1938).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Normandy-Archaeology For This Useful Post:

Jagan (10th April 2021)

Thanks

Investigation Recap....

From the archaeology all evidence so far leads to this aircraft being a Spitfire (possible Vb / Vc variant).

2 recovered artefacts reveal this possibility.

A piece stamped with a serial number 37007 is believed to be the part number for a Spitfire engine mounting.

The propeller housing revealed that this was a 3 blade Spitfire.

Merlin XLV No 67319 is the engine serial number.

The A-number (A280002) is unique to the engine and was used across the board. On paper, the engines were built in batches to Air Ministry contracts which had another number, for example, Merlin III, No 19407 / A144641 was one of a batch of 600 built to contract No 974105/38 (1938).

The information on the smaller plate (right side of picture) is for the Firing Order.. specifies sequence of the cylinders firing.

FIRING ORDER
    A UNIT - 1 4 2 6 3 5
    B UNIT - 6 3 5 1 4 2

I have made contact with the Rolls Royce heritage trust, sending them a detailed email asking for assistance with the history of this engine. I will update you with the reply when I receive it.

We are hopeful that Rolls Royce can provide us with details of date of manufacturing and/or date of delivery to the production factory.

If they have archives listing possible airframe/aircraft or construction numbers then we would be very lucky indeed.

If we can link the delivery date to the production factory then we might be able to list the batch of engines under the contract number to possible aircraft numbers produced from around that date.

From there we could check if any aircraft from this batch are listed as missing/crashed in the area of our crash site in Normandy.

Another possibility is that this engine was repaired/modified at some point, then replaced into an aircraft which was not its original aircraft.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this search so far, however this is just the beginning of what could be a long journey of investigation.

If anybody has any information or ideas on possible research/investigation avenues to explore, then please contact me directly or post on here.

The search continues...

David

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Normandy-Archaeology For This Useful Post:

Jagan (11th April 2021)

Thanks

I have had a reply from Rolls Royce regarding the Merlin engine from this crash site.

It has some good information.

It reads...

Engine 67319 was a Merlin 45 built as part of an order for 1500 engines under contract C/Eng/405. Built 16 October 1941 at Derby. Tested 20 October and despatched to Vickers, Castle Bromwich on 22 October 1941. Overhauled at No. 7 MU Quedgeley 7 July 1942. Overhauled at RAF Cranfield 26 May 1943 where it is likely it was converted to Merlin 45M with a modified supercharger optimised for low level flying or carrier operations. Marked as written off.

So all we can conclude is that the aircraft is likely a clipped wing Spitfire Mk V or Seafire that crashed after 26 May 1943.

The next move is to contact the RAF museum to see if they can produce any further information about this aircraft...

If anybody out there has any information or ideas about this, then please do contact me.

The search continues....

Thanks

Good news why am I thinking that this could be a US Navy Spitfire lost around D day ?