Thread: WAAF abbreviation -"Cpl/Sp.D.Plotter"

Thanks

Default WAAF abbreviation -"Cpl/Sp.D.Plotter"

A Danish women served in the WAAF for two years (1941-1943) before enlisting in the Royal Norwegian Air Force, Women's Section in September 1943.

To describe her WAAF service in the index card used by the Norwegians is noted "W.A.A.F. 2 years as Cpl/Sp.D.Plotter".

I am not certain if this abbreviation is English or Norwegian (the card as such is in Norwegian), but would it be like that it meant: 2 years as Clerk Special Duties, serving as a Plotter?

Kind regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default Re: WAAF abbreviation -"Cpl/Sp.D.Plotter"

Mikkel,
    It is possible that the lady’s Special Duties were that of a Radar Plotter in the days before the word ‘radar’ had been released into common usage?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I am sure it is possible. I have very little information on her service. Only known posting is RAF Kinloss (late 1942).

I am struggling with my WAAFs as the information on their service is as scarce as it is.

Thank you, Peter!

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Radar is the most likely given the "Sp.D" prefix, but another type of plotter was used to record practice bombs with quadrant sights. There was a WREN trade for this and WAAF's were used extensively for this type of plotting but I haven't come across a specific trade for the WAAF's. WAAF's were generally regarded as far more reliable and accurate compared to their male counterparts and I suspect that was also true of radar plotters.

I am not sure about WAAF's being used for aircraft armament trials as they may have operated kinetheodolites as well and these may have been regarded as plotters. The Kinloss location may rule that option out though.

Thanks

PKN, Thank you. Mikkel

Thanks

Hi

Special Duty Plotters were connected to Radar, they were originally known as Clerks/Special Duty to disguise their true duties.

Malcolm