Thread: Female Military Personnel POWs?

Thanks

Default Female Military Personnel POWs?

Hello All,
    Let us ignore the Far East (big problem when we come to it??) for the moment where female military (PMRAFNS, QARNNS(?), and QARANCs, etc, at least) were taken POW.
    Were any RAF WAAFs taken POW in ETO? again, ignore the SOE/SIS, etc, Spooks and Hooligans.
    And, to look at the problem through the other end of the telescope, did we ever capture any Axis female military?
    The reason for the question is that in my collating of the ETO/MTO POWs I have not found a single WAAF!
    Was there ever some?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Female Military Personnel POWs?

At war end yes to Axis female military PoW - but quickly processed to non-combatant as ere male axis prisioners.

At least one in 1944 at Arnheim
    https://airbornearnhem.nl/WillemTiem...male%20POW.htm

Suspect WAAF etc would be treated as non-combatant and repartiated quickly.w
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Not strictly on topic, but U.K. newspapers reported a release from Reuters in January 1943 stating that a U.S. airman wrote home to his parents and mentioned that a Luftwaffe bomber shot down in North Africa had a female rear gunner, who was killed in the crash.

It was also reported in the U.S. papers as well. The Dubuque Telegraph of January 17th 1943, for example, named the American airman as Lieut. Joe Klaas of Seattle, formerly an Eagle Squadron pilot in the U.K.

Coincidentally the same issue the newspaper reported that a Japanese suicide aircraft that hit the U.S.S. Hornet the previous year was flown by a female pilot.

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Ross,
    Tks yrs. Much appreciated.
    Very much as I had thought. But I appreciate the words of an expert.
    So we can assume (v dangerous in this game!) that there were no long-term WAAF POWs (other than the caveats in my earlier)?
    I had thought that there might have been some (Admin/Cypher Clerks, etc, etc, in E Africa and N Africa) that might have got themselves caught up in the rapid to/fro campaigns pre 1943.
    I would give your eye-teeth to have sight of the pax manifests of the SS Letitia (and the two Swedish vessels) when engaged on Repat missions!
    Never a dull day!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Not really looked for the manifests but did make a note of repatriation files of individual RAF men via Sweden.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...epatriated+raf

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.