Thread: Cologne, March 2, 1945. Film footage of the raid.

Thanks

Default Cologne, March 2, 1945. Film footage of the raid.

On March 2, 1945 Bomber Command undertook a daylight raid to Cologne. Dad was on this raid. 5-Group's only participation was to send a film unit Lancaster on the raid. The film footage is a classic daylight raid. At the 6:06 minute mark in the film, a "Scarecrow" explodes over the target area. Also, the film shows a load of 1 X 4,000 lb and 16 or so 500 lb bombs going down at the 10:20 mark. Dad carried an identical load to the target.

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/33469

The Film Unit Lancaster was PD.337 'JO-V', of No. 463 Squadron RAAF, Waddington. Skipper F/Lt. Skelton, Camera crew, F/O Rogers and Sgt. Pearce. They bombed just after the raid started at 10:00. It was already well in progress as the smoke was beginning to cover the target area. The comment in the ORB: Main stream a/c still do not adhere to flight planning heights. At the end of the film, a 346 French Squadron a/c H7-E is shown leaving the target. Unfortunately, the ORB entries for the day provide only the serial number of the a/c so we cannot identify the pilot and crew!

Incidentally, 3-Group went the same day to Cologne but only 15 aircraft bombed due to a failure of the GH system. Does anyone have information as to when this force went to the target?

Jim

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JDCAVE For This Useful Post:

ClintCoffey (11th April 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Cologne, March 2, 1945. Film footage of the raid.

Jim,

No.3 Group were over the target between 16:00hrs - 16:12 hours. The 15 a/c only bombed is incorrect.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Re: Cologne, March 2, 1945. Film footage of the raid.

Thanks for those times, Steve. I should have added "Cologne" to my 2nd to last sentence: "only 15 aircraft bombed the specified Target Area in Cologne due to a failure of the G-H system in England." I was lazy and sourced my comment from Middlebrook and Everitt. The Bomber Command day-raid sheet records 15 a/c bombed "A" Cologne, 41 bombed "B" with 19 these bombing S of Cologne. There were 99 abortive sorties. The day raid table is a bit cryptic but in order to make the "math" work, 155 were despatched, 15 bombed Cologne, 41 bombed "B" and 99 abortive. I don't have the Form "B"s for this operation, nor do I have the Group ORBs and I have not examined the squadron ORB's in detail. Overall the raid probably was not considered a success.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 11th April 2021 at 16:24.