Thread: Help Needed In Isolating One Particular RAF Officer

Thanks

Default Help Needed In Isolating One Particular RAF Officer

Hello All,
    I very vaguely remember having a go at this one very many years ago – and not being very successful!
    I have been asked by a distant rellie (even older than me!) to see if I can identify the RAF Officer.
    The lady is:-
    Q3 1907 b. Williams, Norah Emma. Reg S. Shields 10a 886 (FREEBMD) – she was one of my many aunts!
    1 Apr 1941 PC in PMRAFNS as Sister Norah Emma WILLIAMS (5501). (not on LG until 1 Oct 46!!)
    She served in a BMH(?) on the Azores.
    She served in a BMH(?) in Mauripur
    2 Jan 1949 Commission resigned as Sister N. E. EDEN (5501) retaining her rank.
    I am fairly sure she died in UK (mid-50’s?) but I can’t find her on FREEBMD. There were no children (AFAIK).
    She resigned her Cm as Eden. She had married a “Tony” Eden at some stage. Probably in Mauripur. He was a GD Pilot – probably a Truckie.
    They lived not far from us (at Willingham, Cambs) while he was posted to what we were told was The King’s Flight at Oakington(or Waterbeach)? Can’t find any trace of the immediate post-WW2 TKF at either.
    So:-
    She married (almost certainly outside UK in a military environment) where are such marriages recorded/registered? – and are they accessible?
    She will have changed her Surname to EDEN. This should have been on the PORs appendix to SROs – but I doubt if they have survived?
    Can PMRAFNS Records of Service be accessed like the RAF?
    No hurry! What we haven’t known for 70-odd yrs is not likely to change in the next fortnight!!!
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Help Needed In Isolating One Particular RAF Officer

Peter

A match on the 1939 Register:

Charing Cross Hospital Nurses' Home, London NW3 (Hampstead)
    WILLIAMS Norah E., b. August 7th 1907, single, Nurse in training.

Not much, but it gives a D.o.B. at least.

Family trees on ancestry.co.uk record that she died on December 21st 1992 in Bournemouth, Hampshire. Does that sound right? Not much on the husband on any of them, just his surname Eden.

The National Probate Calendar gives her address at the time of her death as 4 Lions Lane, Ashley Heath, Ringwood, Hants.

Maybe her death certificate could tell you more?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Hi Peter

If you're on FindMyPast you can an entry for the wedding in "Army Returns Marriages 1946-1950"

Names of persons married: Williams Norah E. - Eden
    Station: Karachi
    Year: 48
    Page: (32) 4

And from the Andrews Newspaper Index on ancestry.co.uk:

EDEN - WILLIAMS - on Nov. 1, 1948, at Holy Trinity, Karachi, Pakistan, by the Venerable the Archdeacon of Sind and S/Ldr. the Rev. Andrew Morrison, R.A.F., Flt. Lt. TONY EDEN, R.A.F., to NORA [sic] E. WILLIAMS, P.M.R.A.F.N.S.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    VMT all that. Brilliant! It all fits perfectly. I suspect that the "Nurse in training" (1939 Reg) was a slight misnomer. She would have been 32 - bit old for a student nurse in them days? She was probably a Sister by then (Commissioned as such only 2 yrs later!). Probably a Sister in the Nurses Accommodation?
    Right - that's got her sorted out! Where do we find the Marriage details recorded? Does GRO keep the o/seas military marriage records? In what collection, and are they accessible? Also, can we get PMRAFNS Service Records?
    I'll go for the Death Cert. That should give the Informant's full name (assuming her husband was still alive?). That should enable me to track him down ("Tony" Eden does give a rather large number of 'hits'!!), but the normal Serv Recs access is a bit shy about PMRAFNS!
    Tks again,
    Peter Davies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (11th April 2021)

Thanks

Simon,
    Fantastic! So we now know he was a Flt Lt "Tony"/Anthony Eden on 1 Nov 48. I knew them when they came back to UK after she'd Resigned her Commission on 2 Jan 49. They lived, for a short time, not far from us. I knew/remembered him as 'Uncle Tony'. I was 13.
    He should, therefore, be in the various AF Lists? They are all on Library of Scotland? I can plough my way through all the Eden - which will give me the real Forename(s)/Initials? And, from that, get his Service Number which will let me outline his Service career from the LG?
    Been 'A Good Day' so far - let's hope ot continues!!
    Tks again,
    Peter Davies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

wwrsimon (11th April 2021)

Thanks

Peter

Just to throw a spanner in the works, the bridegroom's entry in "Army Returns Marriages 1946-1950" seems to be as following:

Names of persons married: Eden, Frederick R. - Williams
    Station: Karachi
    Year: 48
    Page: (32) 4

So, where does 'Tony' come from...!?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Simon,
    I think you have cracked it!! I think I remember writing on the Xmas card envelopes "Mr & Mrs F R Eden". Brilliant!
    He was known by his nickname of 'Tony' which was taken from the famous (or infamous, depending on which end of the telescope you are looking through!) politician/statesman of the time Anthony Eden. It was almost like a lot of Smiths are 'Smudger', Millers are 'Dusty', etc, etc .
    He might well be F R Eden (191250). If anybody comes across him their routine researches I would be gratefull for a 'heads up'!!
    Tks again,
    Peter Davies