Thread: Instructors' Handbook of Advanced Flying Training.

Thanks

Default Instructors' Handbook of Advanced Flying Training.

I was just going through my dad's "things" and found his copy of Instructors' Handbook of Advanced Flying Training, dated May 1943. Stamped on the cover is No. 10 F.I.S. (E) Reading. Dad served with RAF Woodley No. 10 F.I.S. from August 1943 and into the fall. As he called it "Instructing Instructors on how to Instruct." I guess Woodley and Reading are pretty much the same location. Not sure why dad called it Woodley.

The book is quite interesting as it has a couple of detailed sections on Standard Beam Approach training, Single engine flying, Photography and Reconnaissance, Armament: Gunnery, Armament: Bombing, Formation Flying, Pilot-Navigation, Night Flying, and so forth.

It looks to be an interesting book as it is quite detailed but at the same time, quite readable.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Instructors' Handbook of Advanced Flying Training.

Sounds like a really interesting book Jim !
    Re Woodley Aerodrome

It Originated as Reading Aerodrome in 1929,Phillips and Powis Aircraft Ltd dropped the (Reading) out of their company title in 1935 when they expanded the company - P+P Ltd of course became much larger and as a consequence Woodley Village grew into being a town and I would imagine at that point it became more normal to call it 'Woodley'.
    Not sure it ever officially became RAF Woodley ?? P+P Ltd ran the Flying School in the mid/late 30's and continued doing so during the war years and subsequently post war.
    I have only ever heard it referred to as 'Woodley Aerodrome'.

There is this lovely pic from 'Flight' (1935/36?) clearly showing the airfield name back then ....

Last edited by bvs; 12th April 2021 at 07:53.

Thanks

Default Re: Instructors' Handbook of Advanced Flying Training.

Thanks BVS. I believe there are photos of aircraft in dadís photo album.

Jim