Thread: F/O Lucas AFC

Thanks

Default F/O Lucas AFC

Dad served with a F/O Lucas AFC, I believe he served with him at RAF Woodley No. 10 F.I.S. I have no additional information on him except that I believe he was there sometime between August - December 1943

Any information on this individual would be appreciated.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 11th April 2021 at 23:10.

Thanks

Default Re: F/O Lucas AFC

Hello,

Two possibilities:

86358 A/F/Lt Anthony Spencer LUCAS AFC RAFVR - AFC - NYHL - LG: 01/01/1943
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35841/page/34

122479 F/O Wiliam Henry Wanstall LUCAS AFC RAFVR - AFC - LG: 31/08/1943 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/3870

Prefer 122479 F/O W.H.W. LUCAS AFC, he was still involved in training post-war. He had a son, who I think was his namesake - they were known as Lucas Snr,. and Lucas Jnr. Apparently Lucas Snr., was a rather large man.

Born Byfield, Northants 1910. Died 14/11/1996, aged 87. Buried Aveton Gifford Churchyard, Devon.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ject/205098915

https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-607177.html (Control + F search on Lucas).

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th April 2021 at 03:17.

Thanks

Take your pick:

LUCAS, Anthony Spencer, F/L (86358, RAFVR*) - Air Fighting Experimental Establishment - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1943. Citation in Public Record Office Air 2/8871 (courtesy of Steve Brew). Recommendation also supported by Chief of Research and Development, Ministry of Aircraft Production.

This officer, who has completed over 2,200 flying hours has, for the past six months, served as flight commander of the Experimental Flight engaged on the development of troop and supply dropping by parachute. Flying Officer [sic] Lucas has flown, under exacting conditions, a wide range of service aircraft with exceptional skill, displaying devotion to duty of the highest order. On the 8th May, 1942, he was first pilot in a heavy glider engaged on experimental supply dropping when a large parachute opened while still attached to the aircraft, which was thus rendered uncontrollable of the height of only 500 feet. Displaying great skill in airmanship, he managed to pull the aircraft out of the resulting dive and, a few seconds before the inevitable crash, to change direction sufficiently to avoid striking an aircraft factory directly in the line of flight. Flying Officer Lucas, by his coolness and skill, undoubtedly saved the five occupants of the aircraft from serious injury.

LUCAS, William Henry Wanstall, F/O (122479, Royal Air Force) - No.10 Flying Instructors School (Elementary) - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 31 August 1943. Public Record Officer Air 2/8968 has citation, drafted when he had flown 1,580 instructional hours of which 445 had been in previous six months.

This officer has served with the unit as a flying instructor since September 1942. He applies himself with great energy to his work and has achieved very good results in the training of other flying instructors. He is conscientious and reliable.

Thanks

Thanks Hugh, Col. Dad mentioned that he was a highly dedicated instructor who put in 100 hours a month, so that matches with William Henry Wanstall.

Thanks so much!

Jim