Thread: Info wanted on ID Dog Tags

Thanks

Default Info wanted on ID Dog Tags

I have been given a piece of history from the daughter of an RAF WW2 fighter pilot - namely his RAF leather dog tags, his Stalag Luft 3 ID tag.

However there is another German tag that is attached to the whole lot ..a small round one with a Luftwaffe eagle on the front and the letters 'L.G.K X with the number 6 underneath

On the back are the letters 638.

I understand that the L.G.K means Luftgaukommando.

Can someone please tell me what it means, and why would this pilot be wearing it with his other ID tags on one neck strap?

Any info much appreciated.

Many thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Info wanted on ID Dog Tags

Hi, well I think it will be helpful if you can upload a photo of the dog tag in question to the gallery and add link. Sometime a picture says more than pages of text.

pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CZ_RAF For This Useful Post:

Timobeanie (15th April 2021)

Thanks

I was given 2 Dog Tags when I was invited to legally join The Royal Aeroplane People for my National Service! Still got 'em - and used 'em all my uniformed life/service until I retired!
    I can't immediately lay my hands on them, but - from memory - one was round(-ish), red/brown-ish, and the other was octagonal and green-ish. They both had my Service Number stamped on/in them (same like my kfs), and my Religious Denomination. I had to scracth my Blood Group on them myself when I was posted to dangerous places!! One of the tags was made of material that was supposed to be fire-proof, and the the other one was made of material that was supposed to be acid-proof (or so the large, fierce, Sgt told us at Cardington!!) The material was certainly NOT leather!!
    Tin dog-tags was for dogs!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Resmoroh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A small point, but in Commonwealth air forces during WW2 the official name was always termed (in official orders) as "Identity Discs"; ("Dog tags" were an Americanism, and I seriously doubt that was the official American name either, but I stand to be corrected by those with superior sources). However this term seems to have swept the World, and had become the universal nomenclature for these items, despite their very low credentials!

For those interested in such official minutiae, the full details of these discs (the RNZAF totally relied on the supply of the British-manufactured items, and they also used identical Section/Reference numbers for them, as used in AP 1086, and all other publications and mentions), were as follows:

Section 22B, Ref. No. 15, Cords, Identity Disc, Qty. 1
    Section 22B, Ref. No. 16, Discs, Identity, No. 1, Qty. 1
    Section 22B, Ref. No. 17, Discs, Identity, No. 2, Qty. 1

"Identity Discs will be suspended from the cord worn around the neck."

"See that the discs are attached to a suitable cord and tied in the correct manner, i.e., the second (Red) disc suspended from the octagonal (Green) disc. Cord must be used; Silver or other metal chains are not permitted."

These details extracted from RNZAF ADO A259/41, dated 24th December 1941. Note, the ADO [Air Department Order] is equivalent to the RAF's AMO [Air Ministry Order], and both were issued in either Series A [Permanent] or Series N [Temporary], depending on the purpose of the Order.

David D
    Last edited by David Duxbury; 14th April 2021 at 23:30.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to David Duxbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry Pavel ... I didnt know you can upload photos! Apologies!

Thanks

THanks Peter .... they look like leather ... but obviously not then! It is the German one I am interested in finding out more about ....

Thanks

Many thanks David ..... Identity Discs it is! :)

Thanks

I should perhaps mention that ID tags were indeed not leather, but in fact made of compressed fibreboard. As Resmoroh says at least one was fireproof and to achieve this contains asbestos. It's probably advisable to minimise any handling of them and certainly don't do what Resmoroh was instructed to do which is scratch anything into them!