Thread: 485 Sqn RNZAF - Don Finlay kill 3.3.42

Thanks

Default 485 Sqn RNZAF - Don Finlay kill 3.3.42

Good morning all

I wonder if any one can help? I am researching the career of Don Finlay for a forthcoming book but have come across an anomaly. His DFC citation quotes him shooting down a Bf109 on 3 March 42 while flying with 485 Sqn - he was the 11 Gp engineering officer at the time and was flying as a ‘guest’. The Sqn ORB quotes no kills at all that day, in fact it says that everyone came home empty handed. Finlay was certainly flying, but where has this kill come from? Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Snapper

Thanks

Default Re: 485 Sqn RNZAF - Don Finlay kill 3.3.42

Hi Snapper

Aces High mentions a Bf 109F. Steve Brew also mentions the claim for a "109E" that day in Blood, Sweat and Courage, but only in an appendix about Finlay.

Spitfire, the New Zealand Story by Gerard Morris mentions the sweep but not any claim. Finlay was flying AB960 the presentation Spitfire Auckland V and the significant combat reports for that aircraft are detailed, but nothing for 3.3.42. Note some sources say Auckland V was AB860 but Morris mentions affirmation from AB960 s usual pilot Harvey Sweetman that it was Auckland V.

Peter
    Last edited by PeterColwill; 16th April 2021 at 11:27.

Thanks

Default Re: 485 Sqn RNZAF - Don Finlay kill 3.3.42

Quote Originally Posted by PeterColwill View Post
    Hi Snapper

Guess from the wording your info may have come from Aces High. Steve Brew also mentions the claim for a "109E" that day in Blood, Sweat and Courage, but only in an appendix about Finlay.

Spitfire, the New Zealand Story by Gerard Morris mentions the sweep but not any claim. Finlay was flying AB960 the presentation Spitfire Auckland V and the significant combat reports for that aircraft are detailed, but nothing for 3.3.42. Note some sources say Auckland V was AB860 but Morris mentions affirmation from AB960 s usual pilot Harvey Sweetman that it was Auckland V.

Peter
    Hi Peter

My info comes direct from the London Gazette, and the citation for his DFC. It quotes a ‘daring head on attack’, but as I say, there is nothing in the 485 Sqn ORB. It would be unusual for a medal citation to be wrong though? There is also a 485 Sqn history that quotes the kill on that day, also quoting AB860, code letter U. Update - the ORB conforms AB860. This is a mystery...
    Last edited by Snapper41; 16th April 2021 at 12:06.