Thread: Ferry Command POW Details Requesred

Thanks

Default Ferry Command POW Details Requesred

Hello All,
    We have a Captain E H Stafford, of Ferry Command, who was shot down in Catalina FP138 off Plouguerneau, Brittany, on 1943-03-07 and, subsequently became POW. FP138 had had a mixed civilian/military transit crew and I am assuming that Stafford was a civilian aviation “captain”?
    Can anybody give me his Forenames?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Ferry Command POW Details Requesred

Hi Peter
    The chief flying instructor of the Bermuda Flying School was an American - Captain Ed Stafford - who later joined Ferry Command and was shot down as you described.
    I wonder if he was a victim to spoof navigational/radio calls from the Luftwaffe ?
    Sorry do not know his full name.

Thanks

Edward 'Eddie' Howard Stafford

Birth 17th Sept 1899/1898

https://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Br...lina_fp138.htm

https://www.absa3945.com/Avions%20di...w.htm#STAFFORD

Sergeant (W.Op./Air Gnr.). COVERT H.L. Royal Air Force Ferry Command. (American). (POW).

Thanks

There are a few details on the Catalina loss on this website.

http://moonscourse.blogspot.com/2014...inisterre.html

Nearly 500 PBY Catalinas were delivered across the Atlantic during World War II for Allied service, mainly by this Bermuda route. Most arrived safely. FP138 was one that did not make it, and it was Alan’s fifth trip. 23 hours after take-off they received a radio instruction to divert to Plymouth as their original destination on the Scottish coast, Largs, had weather problems. However three hours later for some reason they were off the coast of France running short of fuel. To avoid an ocean ditching Captain Eddie Stafford headed for an inlet, Aber Wrac’h, on the coast of Finisterre. There they were met by German anti-aircraft fire and, after heading along the coast, the aircraft was brought down by fighter aircraft. Luftwaffe Pilot W. Ebert claimed the ‘kill’.
    Three of the crew including Stafford managed to swim to a nearby rock and were later rescued by Breton fishermen, becoming prisoners-of-war. Rodgers and two other crew members, Harry Abrin, the First Officer, and George Browne, the Radio Operator, did not make it. The plane sank and their bodies subsequently washed ashore.
    So it is possible they were 'lured' close to the coast by spoof Wireless Signals,in 'North Atlantic Cat' Don MacVicar attributes some of the spoof signals to U Boat Signals at Brest,I am not sure if he mentions Ed Stafford in the book - I will have a look later.

Thanks

Hello All,
    Tks for all the info! So I did what I usually do when there is an a/c location problem. First, plot it on GE and look for clues, second, go to FSX to see if anything can be gleaned from that.
    The plot on GE throws up some interesting figures,
    Bermuda to Largs Bay is 2836nm on a still-air course of 042T.
    Bermuda to Plouguerneau is 2846nm on a still-air course of 052T.
    The magnetic variation across the N Atlantic in 1943 was c. 10 degs!
    I do not make assumptions!!!!!!!!!
    I cannot see anything terribly frightening on the limited area surface Met chart for 1943-03-07.
    Lyffe (if he’s on the cct) may care to access the Wetterdeinst historical Upper-Air charts to see if there’s any 'trouble' there?
    A couple of years ago he and I were investigating the Catalina “Double Sunrise” flights Colombo<>Perth, Oz, so we are not entirely unfamiliar with the problem. I “flew” (on FSX) that route several times (not on a “Catalina” – but similar) to check times, and distances from enemy occupied land/radar, etc.
    We need a real aviation Navigator (or “Directional Consultant” as they would probably call themselves nowadays?) to look at this problem – and pronounce!
    This Forum never fails to throw up the most interesting problems – and the most interesting replies!!
    TIA/HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The crew of FP138 made up Canadians, an American, and a Briton, was:

Edward "Eddie" Howard Stafford PoW Captain Pilot (civilian attached to RAF Ferry Command)
    Harry Leo Abrin KIA First Officer (civilian attached to RAF Ferry Command)
    F/O Keith Thompson PoW #126464 Navigator (RAF);
    Roslyn Lloyd George Browne KIA Radio Officer (civilian attached to RAF Ferry Command)
    Sergeant Howard Lionel "Hop" Covert PoW Radio Operator ( , USA Transport Command) Michigan #16011443 1921-1999
    Sgt Alan Rodgers KIA Flight Engineer #650668 (RAF Ferry Command)

Thanks

I wonder if he was related to Captain R C Stafford DFM of British Overseas Airways Corporation killed in Aug 1941 ?