Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying RCAF airman

Thanks

Default Help identifying RCAF airman

Can anybody assist with information on:

R175542 Sgt R BARCLAY RCAF a Bomb Aimer (he has two different numbers in the Sqn ORB, the other being R171542) who served with No. 78 Squadron. He arrived at Breighton from 74 Base on 28th November 1944 as part of FO Larson's crew. It would appear that the crew with the exception of Barclay all moved to No. 35 Squadron on 13th February 1945. There is no record of Barclay moving with them or flying ops with another crew at 35 Squadron.

I guess it is possible that he had completed his tour prior to the crew leaving 78 Squadron but I have nothing to support that theory.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Daz
    Last edited by 78SqnHistory; 18th April 2021 at 10:35. Reason: Second possible service number

Thanks

Default Re: Help identifying RCAF airman

So the crew decided to go to a Pathfinders Squadron and he said "nothing doing". If a crew was invited to Pathfinders, they went away and discussed it amongst themselves and made a decision. Dad's crew were invited to go to Pathfinders but most of his crew didn't want to do it because of the additional operations required to complete a tour (45 Ops as compared to ~30). Dad wanted to go as did his rear gunner but as most didn't want to go, ultimately they turned it down. I realize that is speculation, as we don't know for sure, but that's my guess. I have found that the ORB's for the 6-Group Squadrons provide much more detail on postings in and out than what I have found to be the case for RAF squadrons. Is there any indication as to his movements? Something like "w.e.f. 19-2-1945 Posted out to "R" Depot (AMO A945/44 Para. 7)"? I have not found exactly what "AMO A945/44" means, but it relates to individuals who ceased operations, prior to the end of their tour, but were later transferred out. Sometimes the specific paragraph changes. I asked about AMO A945/44 in an earlier thread but no one was able to provide any information on what this "Air Ministry Order" was.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 18th April 2021 at 16:59.

Thanks

Jim,

thanks for your post and your thoughts. I had considered that but thought it strange that the rest said yes and he said no, would they have gone without a Bomb Aimer? I have also considered the fact that he went but became ill or failed to come up to the required standard and the crew picked up another Bomb Aimer. The crew had only flown 9 ops with 78, of which one didn't count as it was aborted NOET. The crew then completed 9 ops with 35 Squadron, some managed to squeeze in a few more with other crews; but these are primarily Op MANA or POW repatriation ops.

There is no mention of Barclay in the 78 Sqn ORB through to the end of the war. That being said it also doesn't mention the crews Navigator leaving the Squadron.

I'll keep digging away at it, I'm sure someone will come along with the answer or at least a part of the puzzle, like his first name or to confirm his service number.

Thanks

Daz

Thanks

That is too bad, Daz. Sounds like you've given the tree a good shake. I suspect the Squadron or Pathfinders generally, would have found "Spare Bods" to fill the vacancies. I must say, I do appreciate the additional details in some of the 6-Group Squadron ORB's.

Thanks

Hi Daz, I have to say I have tried too but no trace of him anywhere...
    I had also two cases in the past (both NCOs) who came to the squadron - being recorded with the whole crew and then they are no more in the crew, no record of injury or death nor posting out... They simply disappeared.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Daz. For what it's worth. He is not in the officers list of April 45 or Oct 46.
    Richard.k

Thanks

Richard, Pavel,

thank you both for your posts. He is becoming quite the puzzle. I would have thought he would have got a mention somewhere.

Thanks again

Daz

Thanks

Daz. Here is what I now have. Correct service number is R-171542. Not sure of order of his name. Either Gordon Robert or Robert Gordon Barclay.
    Richard.k

Thanks

Richard,
    Thatís brilliant, many thanks.
    Daz

Thanks

Maybe

Publication:The Gazette iLocation:Montreal, Quebec, CanadaIssue Date:Wednesday, January 2, 1946

RENFREW SS. SCYTHIA BRINGS AIRMEN SATURDAY Officers and Other Ranks to Travel by Special Train From Halifax When the troopship Scythia docks at Halifax on Saturday, she will have included in her large draft of repatriated service personnel, 411 officers and other ranks of the R.C.A.F. Special trains from the dockside will bring the airmen to the Lachine Repatriation Depot of the R.C.A.F. and they are expected to arrive on Monday. Included in the list of returning airmen are 28 whose homes are in Montreal and elsewhere in the Province of Quebec. Their names and addresses are as follows: FO. L. Abdalla. 7429 Chateaubriand; LAC. D. AinslK 2017 Piatt; WO. E. A. Bailey, Sawyerville; WO. R. G. Barclay, 5 George, Shawinigan Falls; Cpl. C. S. Black. 2097 St. Luke; Flt.-Sgt. J. Bcisvert, 81 10th. Grand'Mere; WO. J. W. Broad, 14(!5 Vnlois; I'O. E. J. Burns. 715 Cham-pagncur; WO. C. L. Castonguav Morin Heights; Flt.-Sgt. J. D. B. Danis. 55 St. Laurent, Hull; LAC. R. E. DesLsbets, 221 Gohier; Sgt. F. E. Doherty, 6410 Louis Hebert; LAC. R. Donnelly. 25B Sowrces road, Strathmore: Flt.-Lt. R. F. Dunne, 144 Grande Allee, Quebec; FO. F. Edgar, 648 Sherbrooke west; Flt.-Sgt. J. Edgar. 79 McNider; LAC. N. E. Follette. 3017 St. An-toine; Cpl. L. L. A. Grant. 5182 Cartier; Flt.-Sgt. J. J. Irven. 3472 Marlowe; LAC. L. F. Jacobs, Caughnawaga; LAC. K. P. Mc-Guire. 5291 Bordeaux; Cpl. J. A. MacDonal. 1196 Bishop; Flt.-Sgt. R. J. Meade. 2160 Old Orchard: FO. R. C. Montano. 37 Board of Trade Vz Less lh Less Sherbrooke at Mountain building; Fit -Sgt. J. P. Monty. 227 Woodstock, St. Lambert; Flt.-Sgt. G. S. Parker. 4512 Melrose; S;t. J Proctor. 4474 Old Orchard: and CpL F. R. St. Georges,