Thread: Hurricane Mk.I serial number for Wing Commander Tom Neil, 249 Sq. Malta May 21st 1941

Thanks

Default Hurricane Mk.I serial number for Wing Commander Tom Neil, 249 Sq. Malta May 21st 1941

I am looking to create and image of Tom's Hurricane (or one that flew from Ark Royal) but need some info. regarding the paintwork if anyone can help?

Tom flew of Ark Royal in May 1941 in a Hurricane before landing at Malta. Tom states in Onward to Malta and in discussions with Michael Turner for the cover art that when he arrived in Malta with 249 Squadron in May 1941 it was with Hurricane Mk.Is in Dark Green/Dark Earth/Sky and that there were no Mk.IIs until the June deliveries. The majority of the Hurricanes flown in by 249 left for North Africa the next morning, leaving the newcomers with clapped-out aircraft abandoned by 261 squadron until Mk.IIs were delivered in June 1941. As a result Turner's painting Malta Defenders shows Neil flying Dark Green/Dark Earth/Sky Hurricane Mk.IIa Z4048 during the summer of 1941 - although Z4048 was shipped to Iceland in July 1941 so sadly that image is incorrect.

Currently my searches of the National archives have proved fruitless.

Can anyone help with specific information on Tom's aircraft or if not, of any Hurricane Mk.I that took off from Ark Royal on May 21st (and were they the tropical variants)?

Thanks in advance, Neil
    Last edited by Mysticpuma; 20th April 2021 at 08:23.

Thanks

Default Re: Hurricane Mk.I serial number for Wing Commander Tom Neil, 249 Sq. Malta May 21st

Hi,

From Brian Cull's Hurricanes over Malta.

Sgt Arthur Todd (261 Sqn) recalled "The Hurricanes we had on Malta had Vokes filters which we didn't really need, but they needed them in the desert so we did a swap".

Could from this it be suggested that if the 249 Hurricanes were taken then they must have had Vokes filters ?

Peter

Thanks

Default Re: Hurricane Mk.I serial number for Wing Commander Tom Neil, 249 Sq. Malta May 21st

Hi Peter,
    249 took over 261 squadrons hurricanes and 261 left Malta with 249's.
    I spoke to Tom Neil years ago about this (I was researching Derek Whittingham 261 sqn) and Tom said that 261 squadrons machines were in a dreadful state and the service records were all over the place.
    Gerry