Thread: Interrogation of Albert Speer on the Allied Bombing of Germany

Thanks

Default Interrogation of Albert Speer on the Allied Bombing of Germany

I am looking for a pdf of this document. I realize it's a long shot but thought that a researcher on this forum may have it:

Imperial War Museum, FDC 1, Report 26, Interrogation of Albert Speer; The Effects of the Allied Bombing of Germany, July 18, 1945.

Evidently Speer talked about the effects of the RAF Bombing on oil targets, essentially that the larger bombs that Bomber Command used created much more damage than the bombs of the 8th USAAF. I am looking for the original record of this statement.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: Interrogation of Albert Speer on the Allied Bombing of Germany

Albert Speer pulled off an interesting stunt - he managed to avoid the death penalty at the Nuremberg Trials, even though his deputy, Fritz Saukel, was hanged. John Kenneth Galbraith described how he did it a 1999 book, “Name Dropping From F.D.R.”

Although I cannot offer assistance as to getting a copy of a Speer interrogation, I have read at least one lengthy example (at Canadian Forces Directorate of History and Heritage) and summaries of others. He was interviewed by at least three types of panels, and to each he appealed by telling them what they wanted to hear. To the British he emphasized the impact of Bomber Command, to the Americans he emphasized their raids as opposed to Bomber Command. With civilian industrialists he more or less winked and said, “We know how the generals believe they won the war, but businessmen know that industry is much more resilient.”

Speer was a con man, and the interrogations say more about him than about the ostensible subject matter of the interviews.

Thanks

Thanks, Hugh. Chuckle. Galbraith was know to put his own spin on things. The USAAF bombing survey was more than a little biased towards the US contribution of bombing than to the RAF. And he was the author of that document. LOL. But thanks for the heads up! If you have any of those Canadian Forces Directorate of History and Heritage documents I would be interested.

Jim

Thanks

Off topic, but I agree with Hugh. I've seen extracts from a few Speer interrogations and he tended to tell interrogators what they wanted to hear at times (leading to a post-war comment along the lines that parties on different sides of the bombing war arguments could all find something from Speer to support their positions!).

IMHO, while the American USBS was a tremendous scientific undertaking, I think it was also somewhat politized. Remember, it was published at a time when the US Army Air Force was pushing to become an independent service - the US Air Force (i.e. separated from the Army). My understanding is that the Pacific USBS reports were a little more controversial. The European USBS reports pitted an American air force against a foreign air force (the RAF). The Pacific USBS reports pitted two US air forces against each other (Army and Navy)...hence a few sparks flew after publication...

Cheers

Rod

Cheers

Rod