Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Hudson anomalies

Thanks

Default Lockheed Hudson anomalies

Hudson AE650 is recorded in the relevant Air Britain serials book as being A&AEE/233/53, SOC 18 Aug 47. "Lockheed Twins", also by Air Britain, says the same.
    This seems a little strange, as 53 Sqn gave up its last Hudsons in Jan 43.
    "United in Effort" (53 Sqn history) records that AE650/T "was wrecked but nobody was hurt" in a landing mishap in Dutch Guiana on 12 Aug 42.
    I am wondering if the strike date might be a typo, or a misinterpretation of the handwriting on the record card.

Thanks

Default Re: Lockheed Hudson anomalies

The SoC dates as I understand them need not always be the actual date. Its possible that one day in 1947 its F78 was found with no fate so it was SoC on that date.

EDIT: yeah, if i'd read the dates properly it was clearly a typo of 1942.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 29th April 2021 at 21:51.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

I suspect it a misread of the the original card - I think there was a Census done in 1945 ??

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I too am inclined to think that it is a case of 18 Aug 42 being mis-read as 18 Aug 47, but you never know I guess.
    How do I go about getting the F78 for a look at it?

Thanks

Andy. E-mailing you the movement card.
    richard

Thanks

Richard,
    Thanks, received. The penultimate entry clearly reads:

53 Sqd Trinidad
    Cat B
    Authority (looks like Marcus 117 or similar)

The last entry is the indistinct one. It seems to read:
    SOC
    53 Sqdn
    Authority (indistinct)
    It looks like x/x (where x are letters), followed by what appears to be 7/6/47. But then again, it might not even be a date, and shouldn't be given that this is the box for listing the authority for the "move". It might just be the signal reference of the authority to strike.

Either way there is nothing that says it was struck on 18.8.47. I think it should be 18.8.42 as in the previous entry.

Thanks

Andy,
    I have looked at No.53 Squadron's Hudson's and recall there were at least two anomalies.

I think Dennis's suggestion is probably about right.
    7.6.47 is probably the official SOC date, after the paperwork finally caught up with events.

The following comes from a list of squadron accidents in the adjutant's record book...
    12.8.42. 19.20. Zandery, D. Guiana. Mk.V. "T", AE650.
    Sgt. Badger.
    Sgt. W/Davis.
    Sgt. Thomas.
    Sgt. Wright.
    Aircraft got lost on flight to Zandery, Dutch Guiana. On locating the 'drome with 20 minutes fuel left, the lights were extinguished as believed to be enemy.
    Lights put on again 20 mins later when B-18 came into land and a/c came in downwind but hit rather left of end of sentence unreadable.

AE650 does not appear the in squadron's records again, it was a Cat. B crash and I suspect the wreckage remained in Dutch Guiana.

I think "Marcus" was the code for a telegram from the RAF Delegation in Washington to whom the Squadron based at Edinburgh Field, Trinidad reported.
    The U.S. Navy was in overall command of antisubmarine war in that part of the Caribbean, and that some stage they complained about the RAF squadron's combat reports, etc., were not being forwarded to them.
    I suggest once daily reports were passed through the U.S. Navy possibly very little reached the RAF Delegation and therefore there were no follow-up reports on any damaged aircraft added to the RAF records.

Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Andy,
    I mentioned that there were further anomalies relating to 53 Squadrons' Hudson records. Having looked back at my files I can offer the following...

V9253 missing from 10 September 1942. It was subsequent discovered that in attacking U-boat A-505 V9253 was probably struck by debris from one of it's own depth charges that exploded on the rear of the U-boats conning tower. V9252 plunged into the sea and the entire crew were lost. As with AE650 the SOC entry is not clear but appears to read "SOC 6/7/47".

V9090 Re AM78, looking at the allotments: 48 Sqdn, 16.8.42; 53 Sqdn, 3.9.42; 233 Sqdn (Gib), 13.10.42; 3502 SU Gosport 13.10.42; R.I.W. 22.4.43....
    The Adjutant’s book lists V9090 as a replacement for an earlier Hudson "E" (AM795 which crashed on arriving at Waller Field, Trinidad 16.8.42 - no injuries.) There is also data from the Ferry Command records that V9090 was flown to join No. 53 Sqn in the Caribbean and returned to the UK with the same squadron in early 1943. Therefore it cannot have been with 233 Sqdn from October 1942.

AM795 Re AM78. looking at the allotments: 53 Sqdn St Eval 16.5.42; 53 Squadron, Trinidad, Cat B 18.8.42; 3502 SU 21.1.43. Finally "Presumed SOC 21.6.47. Branch Instruction No42". this is a common sign off for a "lost" aircraft.
    I seriously doubt AM795 reached No.3502 Servicing Unit, Gosport in January 1943. Judging by Ferry command assignment cards AM795 was not among the Hudsons flown to the UK by returning 53 Squadron crews during the early months of 1943.

Hope this helps, Tony Broadhurst
    Last edited by Freshman; 29th April 2021 at 21:28.

Thanks

Tony,
    Thanks for your thoughts, all very interesting.
    Regarding AM795, I need to understand what the record card is saying. Doesn't the entry "3502 SU 21.1.43" just mean that it was allotted to 3502 SU on that date? There is no reason to infer that it actually went to Gosport. Given that 53 Sqn was returning to the UK and disposing of its Hudsons around that time, could it not have been a convenient way of getting that aircraft off the 53 Sqn books? ie 3502 SU was just a paper "holding unit" for dead Hudsons?
    If there is no evidence of it crossing the Atlantic eastbound, it seems almost certain that it ended its days in the landing incident at Waller Field on 16 Aug 42, when "United in Effort" reports that it was wrecked.
    Andy

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Andy:

According to Peter Berry's listing, AM795 was delivered to Prestwick on June 17/18, 1941, by a crew led by a captain Davidson and was returned to Montreal as part of operation(?) 'Scream' on August 2, 1942. No reference to it returning to the UK.

I too have wondered about how 3502 SU functioned and how assignment to Gosport might fit. In the case of the Fortress, I know the unit took care of 206 and 220 Sqn aircraft at Thorney Island while the units were preparing to move to the Azores and that examples of the type were later assigned to 3502 SU at Gosport - and indeed arrived there - as they reached the ends of their service lives. Then again, at least a couple were assigned to 3502 SU at Gosport but were in fact scrapped at Reykjavik after serving with 251 Sqn.

Robert