Thread: Empire Air Training Program in the USA World War II

Thanks

Default Empire Air Training Program in the USA World War II

Can anyone direct me to where I could find my father's service record in the USA in 1943? Flight Lieutenant D.S.A. Bing ......I have his RAF records but the USA piece of his training is a black hole .... Thank you!

Thanks

Default Re: Empire Air Training Program in the USA World War II

Hello,
    Presumably 644406 Douglas Sidney Arthur BING (131070)? He seems to have been commissioned 9th Oct. 1942 from LAC, so possibly on completion of of pilot training? I think successful trainees received the US 'wings' badge which was traded for an RAF pilot's brevet, and also either promoted to Sergeant or commissioned.
    If he went to the US, this would have been on the Arnold Scheme rather than EATS; and if you have his RAF Form 543, that should show where he was posted as an NCO on the back. I think all of them were shipped to 31PD in Moncton, New Brunswick, then sent south over the border for training depending on whether they were streamed for single or multi-engined aircraft. As an example, my grandfather was attached for training variously to Maxwell Field, Darr Aero Tech in Georgia, Cochran Field, and finally Dothan, before being shipped back to 31 PD and then back to the UK.
    Many years ago, someone from a website dedicated to the Arnold Scheme very kindly sent me some information about the ship and course he was on, but that website appears defunct. As for what records may survive in the US, others may be able to help.
    I hope some of this may have been helpful.
    Regards,
    Jeff
    Last edited by RecklessRat; 30th April 2021 at 23:16.

Thanks

Jeff,

I think this is the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...20Register.htm

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

ABing1953,
    I feel I should just mention that in addition to the above mentioned Arnold Scheme operated by the USAAF from June 1941 to March 1943, there were:
    1) Towers Scheme. A similar programme run by the U.S. Navy and named after Admiral Towers. Trained both Fleet Air Arm (June 1941 to late 1945) and RAF pilots (June 1941 to February 1944).
    2) British Flying Training Schools (seven in total). Training under RAF leadership and using the RAF Flying Training syllabus (June 1941 to August 1945).
    Tony Broadhurst

Thanks

Hi Dave,
    That's the one.

Hi Tony,
    Thanks for the extra info - I didn't realise the FTS were run separately to the Arnold scheme in the US itself - every day a school day!

Regards,
    Jeff