Thread: Mannheim, March 1, 1945 Meteorological review please

Thanks

Default Mannheim, March 1, 1945 Meteorological review please

On the daylight raid to Mannheim, March 1, 1945, the Form "B" for 6-Group provides instructions for crews to set course and head nearly south (173o), 70 miles to 53o30'N and 01o15'W and thence to 51o24'N and 01o20'W, climbing at 160 IAS, initially to a height band of 8-10,000’, but there is an addendum to the form that the leaders were also told to climb over a front between 53o30'N and 01o15'W and 50o00'N and 00o20'W (details unknown) and cruise at 170 IAS. 50o00'N and 00o20'W is essentially mid channel, mid way between Brighton and Caen.

Lyffe, et al.: Is there any indication in the records about this front? The location puts it somewhere south of Sheffield. Dad took off at 11:39 hrs. There was 10/10ths stratocumulus cloud with tops 8/14000 feet over Mannheim.

Edit: Weather at Middleton St. George recorded as "...fair becoming fine after midday. Short outbreaks of rain around 0600 hours. Excellent visibility. Wind fresh becoming southwesterly to 0700 then fresh northwesterly, cooler. https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...21/313?r=0&s=3

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 2nd May 2021 at 03:56.

Thanks

Default Re: Mannheim, March 1, 1945 Meteorological review please

At 7 am a weak cold front was aligned WSW - ENE across the UK from roughly Spurn Head - Chester - just south of Shannon. It was moving quite fast and looks as though it was in the London area around 12 noon - 1 pm. I don't have any details of the cloud structure at present, but judging from the observations I doubt the frontal cloud layers extended much above 10000-12000 ft, although there may have been the odd embedded cumulus. The Mannheim cloud would not have been part of this system.

Brian

Thanks

Thank you Brian. That adds some colour to what happened that day.

Jim

Thanks

Jim,
    You will be familar with the "Met Charts" of evening TV.
    The, then, equivalent for the days in question is at https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.u...-e79b0753eeec/ images 10-13.
    If you need anything decoding/explaining just give us a shout!!!
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

A late “Thanks”, both Peter and Brian. For some reason I am not able to view that link on my iPad, so it will have to wait until I can view it on my computer.

I am starting work on the infamous Chemnitz raid, March 5, 1945, so both of you will have to “stand by” for my questions on that raid, once I get to the specifics on the heights or the route over England.

Jim

Thanks

You might want to have a look at this homepage if you are researching the attack on Chemnitz: http://www.luftkrig1939-45.dk/pdf/Marts_1945/Kap_25.pdf

Thanks

Thanks Carsten. Yes, I was going to look at those pages as they are very thorough. I have only just started working on Chemnitz and will be going through the Form "B" and associated documents. I'm going to try and locate the "Courts Inquiry" by 6-Group into the weather related crashes after take-off in northern England on the night of March 5. Dad's logbook records "Weather rotten!" and "Bags of fighter and flares." The ORB for his sortie records "Coming out from French Coast briefed heights too low for icing conditions." It's not clear to me whether that was on the outbound or homeward routes, although routes pretty much overlap over France.

I note that there is a photo of KB.721, "Linden Rose". Dad flew 7 ops on this a/c, but took on a newer a/c, KB.865 to fly 7 operations during the month of March, 1945.

Jim