Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Question of Treason in WW2 or Not?

Thanks

Default Re: A Question of Treason in WW2 or Not?

Bressey Also PoW

Peter Edward Bressey.70082

Name: Peter Edward Bressey.

Date of Birth: 21 April 1915.

Place of Birth: Hailsham, Sussex.

Service: Royal Air Force.

Regiment/Unit/Squadron: [unspecified].

Service Number: 70082.

Date of Capture: 23 May 1940.

Theatre of Capture: St Omer, France.

Camp Name/Number: Oflag IXA.

PoW number: 1124.

Date of Death: [unspecified].

Number of Photographs: 1.

Number of Fingerprints: 1.

Number of X-rays: 0.

Number of Cards: 7.

Thanks

(3) Savoia OOA/GU - piloted by "Captain Moreau who is now in the Belgian Congo."

Of course OOA/GU is an incorrect registration for Savoia -It belonged to a Junkers JU 52

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/17952.php

"I have him as pilot of Savoia-Marchetti SM-73P OO-AGS, ex-SABENA, more or less "impressed" by the R.A.F. and used by No. 271 Squadron from Doncaster. After having taken off from Merville airfield, OO-AGS was shot down by Bf-109s. Belgian flight engineer Armand PEETERS (SABENA) jumped from the planes seconds only before she crashed and survived. Belgian airline pilot Victor MOREAU (SABENA) was also killed in the crash."

Pilot Officer John Robertson McLAREN (78975)

https://madeinperth.org/flyers-from-...rtson-mclaren/
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 5th May 2021 at 10:29.

Thanks

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...p?t-46270.html

The pilot of OO-AGZ was Albert Lassois NOT Lassair - Confirmed by Freemans file

So actually the second pilot below was P/O Peter Edward Bressey 70082 not as below

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/..._hampden-hoare "Says Hoare navigator" Captain Hoare was the skipper of Armstrong Whitworth Ensign G-ADSZ "Elysean". This machine was strafed on the ground at Merville by three Bf-109s earlier that day.

I can see one immediate issue with this evacuation flight if the crews are as stated - It implies the crew were changed from the outward journey to the inward one by an influx of crew from destroyed planes - I can see no reason for this happening unless OO-AUI crew injured - I would image outbound crew same as inbound and the others Hoare and Lassois were just passengers - The only thing I can see is that maybe Hoare in cockpit as more experienced navigator to get back to England - Certainly what is interesting is that it appears the cockpit crew killed, passengers not

24 (COMMUNICATIONS) SQUADRON, HENDON Douglas DC-3. Port wing hit by AA fire over St Omer and forced-landed near Arques. (Pilot1) Raymond Emille Chartier reputedly shot while attempting to evade capture, (Pilot2) Albert Lassois captured wounded, (W/Op) Jan-Paul Grauwels captured slightly wounded in left arm, (F/Eng) Piet Vrebos captured unhurt. Captain John Mathew Hampden Hoare (of BOAC) killed, Pilot Officer Benson Freeman and rest of passengers believed captured unhurt. Aircraft OO-AUI later burned out 100% write-off.
    Impressed into RAF service, this ex-Belgian Sabena Airlines aircraft and its civilian crew was one of nine transport aircraft employed in air-lifting essential stores to Merville this day. It was en-route back to England carrying several crew members of aircraft destroyed there earlier.

Thanks

E Flight 24 Sqn formed 13 May 1940

Ensign G-ADTB
    Ensign G-ADST
    Douglas OO-AUH
    Douglas OO-AUI
    Savoia OO-AGZ
    Savoia OO-AGX

I suspect "Savoia OOA/GU - piloted by Captain Moreau who is now in the Belgian Congo." is OO-AGX or OO-AGY which also served with 24 Sqn

Unless they also had Junkers JU052 ? OO-AGU

https://translate.google.com/transla...search&pto=aue

Seems to suggest it was OO-AGX

Can anyone confirm the death of Victor Moreau ?
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 5th May 2021 at 10:42.

Thanks

Paul,

Outstanding work on this very difficult series of losses, etc. I had no idea about the KV file being available to download. For what it's worth I would add the following. I obtained copies some time ago of the AIR 81/867 and 895 personnel casualty files on the losses this day. They describe F/O Bressey, P/O's Freeman and McLaren as 'RAF Liaison Officer to Belgian crew', not as 2nd pilots. The only RAF officer described as a 2nd pilot that day was F/Lt. Philip Arthur De Gleichen Tettenborn in Ensign G-ADSZ.

Have to rush !

Martin Gleeson.