Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reason for Bomber Commands inactivity in the beginning of June 1943

Thanks

Default Re: reason for Bomber Commands inactivity in the beginning of June 1943

Hi all,

and thanks for your answers.

Thanks Brian for confirming my thinking about the full moon which had not been there in that period. I thought I had something totally wrong ... no full moon, but full moon period mentioned ...

I have used moonpage.com too.

So in the end the weather conditions were the reason for cancelling all the raids. Do you think 1 Group's explanation that weather at the bases was the main reason?

Best

Marcel

Thanks

I'd hate to say, Marcel, as the amount of information I have for specific bases is very limited. The best I can suggest is that you look at some of the online ORBs of the 1 Group squadrons (Nos 12, 100, 101, 103, 166,199, 300, 301, 305 and 460) to see what clues they give.

Brian

Thanks

While weather is clearly one important contributing factor, regaining unit strength after losses may also have been a consideration. Also, the Hamburg raids were just around the corner with the first use of “window”. Additional strategic reasons may have contributed to the decision.

Jim

Thanks

Not in this instance, Jim. According to the 467 Squadron ORB this was no rest period; the following summarises entries from 1st to 11th:

1st - No ops scheduled due to unfit weather (WX)
    2nd - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    3rd - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    4th - No ops scheduled due to unfit WX
    5th - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    6th - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    7th - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    8th - No operations scheduled
    9th - Planned ops cancelled - WX unfit
    10th - No ops scheduled due to unfit WX
    11th - Operations recommenced despite mist and thunderstorms, target Dusseldorf

Despite operations being cancelled there was considerable daytime flying.

Brian

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyffe For This Useful Post:

Andrew Arthy (9th May 2021),JDCAVE (7th May 2021)

Thanks

I have the log book of P/O C K Smith who would join 460 Sqn on 30/6/43 but during early June he was on HCU and did a number of cross country trips in early June 1943. Just out of interest he was later KIA in September 1943 in an attack on Hannover.

Cheers,

John.

Thanks

Hi all,
    thanks for your answers and thanks to Brian for lookong up the details of 467 squadron.
    I have followed Brians advice to look into the ORBs. In the ORBs summary of events of 83, 97, 101 and 432 the weather is mentioned for scrubbed ops before June 11.
    So I think I have it now.
    Thanks
    Best
    Marcel
    Last edited by Marcel L.; 9th May 2021 at 10:50.