Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual rank "Cdt" aboard RAF CC Liberator

Thanks

Default Re: Unusual rank "Cdt" aboard RAF CC Liberator

Just to put some numbers on this -
    From http://www.airtransportaux.com/history.html
    The ATA also utilized Air Training Corps Cadets, boys from 16 to 18 years of age. They were initially brought in to help out in cleaning airplanes, as there was a severe shortage of hanger staff. As a reward, they were given the occasional flight. Once airborne, they would often be given the task of winding undercarriages. Many planes at this time had manually operated landing gear, and the work in raising and lowering them was much appreciated by ATA aircrews. The Cadets (27 were actually aircrew!!) were issued RAF-blue uniforms with appropriate insignia, which made them the envy of their peers.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Andy thank you for your comment. Yes I have been also thinking about the "Commandant" option but I have exclude it for two reasons: 1. the surname of the person does not sounds French to me:), 2. it was quite improbable that such high rank will join the crew for air to sea firing.

Pavel
    Pavel,

As you say I doubt it is relevant to your query and agree that Robinson does not sound very French but there are a number of locations in France with the name Robinson:

Le Plessis-Robinson, St.-Dizier/Robinson A/D etc

Cheers

Andy

Thanks

Actually there would not have been many aircraft in the RAF during WW2 which would have had manually retractable undercarriages. One well-known example was the Avro Anson of course (supposedly 144 cranks on the handle, or thereabouts), and there may have been some with a hand-pump operated hydraulic u/c (early Spitfires?), but you would not find an ATC cadet sitting in pilot's seat of one of those! Most RAF retractable u/c aircraft during the war had hydraulic pumps driven off the aircraft's engine, often with a manual back-up should main pump fail, others had a special CO2 bottle which accomplish same task without much human input. In most (but not all) cases, these undercarriages could be lowered by gravity (with a little help from pilot required to get them locked down properly if possible!)
    David D