Thread: J B Jones, 58 Squadron June 1941

Thanks

Default J B Jones, 58 Squadron June 1941

Hi looking for any information on a bomber command pow , sgt j b jones) who was shot down in june 1941 by a nightfighter whilst flying in whitely bomber . He was the only survivor and became pow as he had two broken legs and couldn't be cared for by the dutchmen who found him. i have two letters from the dutch family who briefly cared for him that was sent to him post war

Thanks

Default Re: j B jones 58 squadron june 1941

Nick, welcome!
    A quick shufti of the lists shows yr man as follows:-
    Pilot Officer D F Walker, Sergeant E E Weldon, Sergeant F A Hatton, Sergeant D R Black: killed; Sergeant J B Jones: prisoner of war; aircraft shot down and crashed (at Best – GE 51.508021 5.397370) near Eindhoven, Holland, Whitley (Mk V) N1462, 58 Squadron, 18 June 1941. Probably shot down by Oblt. Wolfgang Thimmig: 1 2./NJG1.
    Can’t isolate yr J B Jones. There is a very large number of them(!!!) – but somebody will know him! You need his Service Number if you are going to take this any further. Tracking down rellies of a specific Jones (in Wales??) is definitely a mega-needle in haystack job. Good luck!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Many thanks . Thatís very helpful. I think his service number was 942685. He was taken to a hospital at Den Bosch. He ended up at StaLag Kopernikus.

Thanks

Peter's right, someone will know...I'm pretty sure it's this chap:

942665 [from Air 78] Joseph Bernard Jones, reported missing in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, July 14th 1941:

Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Jones, of 22, Redheugh Road, Gateshead, have been officially informed by the War Office that their son, Sergeant J. B. Jones, (21), wireless operator air gunner, is wounded and a prisoner of war in Germany.
    Before enlisting he worked at Gateshead Co-operative Society for 5 years, and in the Saltwell Co-operative Society tool room for 13 months. He served in the Naval Reserve for three months before volunteering for the Royal Air Force.

He's mentioned again in April 1943 as being in Stammlager-Luft 3, and being part of the camp's Christmas Show. He was one of two Gateshead men in the show, the other being F/Sgt Harry Greene:

Flight-Sergt. Harry Greene...a member of the Caterpillar Club, was captured when his 'plane, the first to raid Czechoslovakia two years ago, was brought down and he escaped by parachute.
    At the camp he had a surprise meeting with Sergt. Bernard Jones, whose parents reside at 27 [sic*] Redheugh Road, Gateshead, and who is engaged to Greene's sister.
    Jones had a lucky escape when his machine crashed in flames. He was in the rear turret and thrown clear, while the rest of the crew lost their lives.
    The two men were the "hit" of the show. Known as "The Eastern Brothers," they were dressed alike and imitated the famous Kenneth and George Western.

* on the 1939 register the address is 22, Redheugh Road. Is there an address on the letters?

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 28th February 2021 at 17:04.
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Nick,
    942685 Enlisted in Block 935000-964999 RAFVR Issued at Cardington 01-Sep-39 to 31-Mar-40. Mathematically that would put his Enlistment date as about late-Oct 1939. If he was 18 when he Enlisted then that would put his birth date as in/before 1921 (unless he lied about his age!!). There are some on this Forum who might get closer to his Enlistment date.
    You have enough data, now, to get his Service Record (https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records). Will cost £30, and take a few months (Covid delays!) to arrive. If you're lucky it might have an address not redacted. Everybody is a cousin of everybody else in them parts (I, and my parents, are from S Wales - so I speak from experience!).
    Go for it!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thatís amazing information ! The letter is addressed to 22 redheagh rel, Gateshead . Along with the letters there were some photos and one of them is annotated on the reverse with their names ! Wasnít sure if they were squadron friends but it would appear they were friends outside of the RAF .There are also some Red Cross photos of shows in pow camps . I will have to look to see if itís Bernard and Harry . Some of the photos are from stalag luft 1 and labelled ďJohnnie fenders bandĒ.

Thanks

Nick

The first article I mentioned includes a small portrait photo of Jones, if that might be useful?

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Hello Nick, Send you already a PM

Looking forward to hear from you,
    Adrian

Thanks

He's mentioned again in April 1943 as being in Stammlager-Luft 3, and being part of the camp's Christmas Show. He was one of two Gateshead men in the show, the other being F/Sgt Harry Greene:

Flight-Sergt. Harry Greene...a member of the Caterpillar Club, was captured when his 'plane, the first to raid Czechoslovakia two years ago, was brought down and he escaped by parachute.
    At the camp he had a surprise meeting with Sergt. Bernard Jones, whose parents reside at 27 [sic*] Redheugh Road, Gateshead, and who is engaged to Greene's sister.
    Jones had a lucky escape when his machine crashed in flames. He was in the rear turret and thrown clear, while the rest of the crew lost their lives.
    The two men were the "hit" of the show. Known as "The Eastern Brothers," they were dressed alike and imitated the famous Kenneth and George Western.

* on the 1939 register the address is 22, Redheugh Road. Is there an address on the letters?

Regards

Simon[/QUOTE]

Dear Simon, I am pretty occupied with the research after Whitley N1462 with the end result that we have serious plans to erect a memorial hopefully this year in June or when everything is back to normal. I would find something about F/Sgt Harry Green or Greene but can't find nothing about him on the POW list. There was a Greene on the pilsen raid and the 58 Sqdn Whitley returned to England but ditched in the Humber river Sgt Greene injured. I suppose it was not the Harry green we are looking for. Any clues????
    Cheers,
    Adrian