Thread: F/O Norman Fielding DFC

Thanks

Default F/O Norman Fielding DFC

I am looking for some information regarding my wife's late great uncle, Norman Fielding DFC. Born in Belfast, he joined the RAF in April 1918 and given number 137344. He is reported as serving in India in the North West Frontier. According to The Gazette he was promoted from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer on 30th March 1920 but there is no mention of service numbers. In September 1920 he is back in England having his right leg amputated in Roehampton Hospital on his 21st birthday reportedly after a bullet wound turned septic. I am trying to find out information regarding the reported DFC and the events that led up to it, presumably the same event that led to his leg being amputated.

He was quite a chap and went on to form the Disabled Drivers Motor Club and he took part in many races. I have a photograph of him with his racing car at Brooklands. He also played golf. He started a successful company which he ran until he was seventy. He passed away at the age of 93.

Any information gratefully received as I putting together a piece for the Brooklands Motor Museum. TIA

Thanks

Default Re: F/o norman fielding dfc

Hello,

I think your man is "Norman FIELDEN DFC".

DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS.

FIELDEN, Norman. PO. RAF. 20 Sqn.
    London Gazette 19/4/1921:p.3440'
    For gallantry and distinguished service in Waziristan, 1919-1920.

See:
    The Distinguished Flying Cross and How It Was Won 1918-1995. Vol.I, A-L.
    Carter,Nick & Carol.
    London:Savannah,1998.
    p.550.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...2307/page/3440

See also:

Relinquishes Commission:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...159/page/12195

And ...

India General Service Medal.

Name: Fielden, N.
    No. ?
    Clasp/s: Afghanistan NWF 1919 & Mahsud 1919-20 (20 Sqn RAF participated in both these campaigns).

India General Service Medal Roll 1908 - 1935.
    Naval & Military Press. p.28.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th May 2021 at 10:58.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to COL BRUGGY For This Useful Post:

lancasterlm342 (11th May 2021)

Thanks

Thank you very much Col.

Don't suppose anyone has a copy of the book that Col refers to ?

Thanks again

Mike

Thanks

Hi Mike,

As Col notes, Fielden's service was with 20 Squadron. The ORB is online; see image 42

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8409304

The month of February 1920 is covered in about 10 lines, ending 'Pilot Officer Fielden was wounded in the leg and admitted to hospital on 01.02.20', but it does give some idea of their operations in Waziristan

Regards,

Jeff

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RecklessRat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

FIELDEN, Norman, F/O - Distinguished Flying Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 29 April 1921; reported in Aeroplane, 11 May 1921. Served in No.20 Squadron; "for gallantry and distinguished service in Waziristan, 1919-1920." Recommendation raised by W/C W. J .S. Mitchell, No;.3 Wing, 2 April 1920; in Public Record Office Air 2/10162, provided courtesy of Brian Cull. He was a Pilot Officer at the time.

For conspicuous gallantry in the air against the enemy. On November 14th, 1919 he carried out a successful bombing raid on Bhanga Khel from very low altitude, obtaining six hits in a village. On November 27th, 1919 he obtained six hits on Marobi, coming down very low under fire. On December 2nd, 1919 he went on a raid on Marobi which was attacked from a low altitude under heavy fire. Nine hits in the village were obtained and Pilot Officer Fielden fired 600 rounds from the machine gun into the tribesmen who were firing at the machine.

On January 4th, 1920 during the reconnaissance over Kotkal and Gurlama Kach he observed a party of about 100 tribesmen whom he attacked from a very low altitude, in spite of heavy fire from the ground. He succeeded in dispersing the enemy and caused many casualties.

On February 1st, 1920 he carried out two successful bombing attacks over enemy position near Plume Hill. On the first flight large parties of the enemy were seen in nullahs. Pilot Officer Fielden dropped eight bombs and opened fire with his Lewis gun, firing 500 rounds and causing many casualties.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HughAHalliday For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Many thanks to Jeff and Hugh. The records present a picture of a time perhaps not many know of. Norman certainly was happy to have a go. Whilst it is sad that his wound in February leads to the loss of his leg in the September - however the net result was that he survived. This usually doesn't happen in the cases I research.

I have attached an image of Norman with his racing car at Brooklands c. 1926 but probably later.

https://imgur.com/EA8ncyf

Thank you all again

Mike
    Last edited by lancasterlm342; 11th May 2021 at 17:56.

Thanks

Default Re: F/O Norman Fielding DFC

Hello,

A slight correction to Hugh's entry (Post #5). The Wg Cdr who raised the recommendation for Fielden's D.F.C., was, William "Gore" Sutherland MITCHELL - https://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Mitchell_W.htm

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 11th May 2021 at 23:30.