Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosquito radar signature

Thanks

Default Re: Mosquito radar signature

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fletcher View Post
    The Germans were quite capable of tracking Mosquitos on radar. If I recall correctly there is a good account of a German fighter being vectored on to a 1409 (Met) Flt Mossie in one of Don Caldwell's JG 26 books where it states it was tracked across Germany and intercepted on the home bound leg.
    Indeed Andy, it happened on 14th November 1943, and that Mosquito crashed in my research area, 20 km from my home. The crew (Clayton and John) are buried in Merville. It was actually Glunz' third Mosquito kill, he had shot down 2 BIV in March 1943, also in northern France.

Joss

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resmoroh View Post
    Andy,
    Do I presume 'they' had tracked him in order to see where he had been (and, consequently, what Bomber Command might be up to that night?) and went for him before he could get back with the detailed Met obs for BC Met?
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Hi Peter,

It has been a long time since I read that particular book and it is now packed away but I doubt the Germans knew it was on a met recce and probably thought it was a photo recce machine. I do seem to remember the German pilot was Adolf Glunz 5./JG 26

Cheers

Andy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
    Sorry Ian, but this statement is not true. Wood targets do indeed reflect radar signals back to a radar antenna, as do other “soft” target such as birds, plastic buoys, fibreglass boats and sails. Metal structures reflect more radio energy back to a receiver, but softer targets can be identified. Perhaps WWII systems were less capable than marine systems today, but radar technology can be used to locate many non-metallic objects on the water.

The orientation of a target in the beam affects how much energy is reflected back to a receiver. An aircraft, head on will reflect less energy back to a receiver, than will an aircraft that presents the broad surfaces of its wings to radar interrogation.

Jim
    Sorry Jim, but the original enquiry was concerned with wartime radar, not modern marine radars, for which the capabilities are entirely different.