Thread: Form 441 Bomber Command Navigator's Log

Thanks

Default Form 441 Bomber Command Navigator's Log

I have received the Navigators Log and Charts from the family of my father's navigator. These are for Bergen, October 4, 1944; Dresden (2nd raid) February 13/14, 1945; Chemnitz March 5/6, 1945 and Dessau, March 7/8, 1945. These are new to me and I am unfamiliar with some of the notations:

TMT: A/C (aircraft) Track Made True?
    A "Triangle": Appears to be Latitude and Longitude.
    A "plus sign" '+' followed by numbers. Could this be a Gee fix?
    A "Square" followed by S/C followed by a letter, (i.e. 'N') (set course?) I believe this means change course to next turning point? Correct?
    + followed by DUFF. I believe this to mean a bad Gee fix. Correct?
    TRT? What does this mean?
    A "Triangle" with a dot in the centre: Appears to be Latitude and Longitude. There are a number of these which makes me think they are different than just a triangle.

Here's another odd one at 2029 hours and Dessau. "A/C 30 P TRT then P8-040 and DR-020 and "It's happened again"
    Followed by at 2039 A/C to maintain TR Manual AP P8-063 and DR-042.

Then he records some winds: P 355/50 005/68 005/82 and...F 350/55 005/70 010/85. I presume P and F are "predicted" and "found"

Thoughts?

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 19th May 2021 at 15:46.

Thanks

Default Re: Form 441 Bomber Command Navigator's Log

This is the only "similar example" I have been able to find:

http://www.550squadronassociation.or...r-logbooks.php

Jim

Thanks

I can now answer some of the above. I should have consulted with Peter Hoare's paper in the Journal of Navigation. I have it.

"It is worth a mention at this point of the navigation symbols used in 1945. The air position was represented by a small triangle , a DR position by a small square
    and a fix by a cross (+). Three small arrows were drawn on the wind vector in the direction from the air position to the fix, one arrow indicated the air plot and
    two the track. In Bomber Command we had not yet graduated to the Most Probable Position (MPP). We also flew courses and turned port and starboard. It is worth
    mentioning that tracks and bearings were measured ‘‘true’’ and that ‘‘true’’ courses were flown, although perversely magnetic bearings were shown on the target maps
    issued at briefing. GMT was always used. The log form used by the Pathfinder Force differed from the standard RAF form."

That answers some of the above questions.

Jim

Thanks

Hi Jim,

Seems like you're most of the way there with your original question! Some stuff to augment where you've got to. 'Air Navigation Stages 1 and 2, Notes for Students Jan 44', Syllabus 13 is 'Course, track, drift, bearing, back-bearing, wind direction'. Abbreviations used are:

True/magnetic/compass course - Co.(T)('for plotting and calculations') Co.(M) Co.(C)(''for steering')
    True/magnetic/compass track - Tr.(T) Tr.(M) Tr.(C) [your nav may have rendered Tr.(T) as TRT in practice?]
    Track made good - TMG

There is no mention of TMT, however, in the context of a nav log A/C is Alteration of Course. Looking in AIR14 docs on navigation, you might also expect to see 'DTT or TTT' or 'DTR or TTR' (distance/time to turn and distance/time to run) and Track required (TrR or TRR) in the standard round of plotting (top of the nav log, course calcs on left, general nav info centre and speed calcs on right).

Here's another odd one at 2029 hours and Dessau. "A/C 30 P TRT then P8-040 and DR-020 and "It's happened again
    " P8 is the magnetic compass and DR is the Distant Reading (gyro) compass - 'it's happened again' may be the discrepancy between the two?

Followed by at 2039 A/C to maintain TR Manual AP P8-063 and DR-042.

Then he records some winds: P 355/50 005/68 005/82 and...F 350/55 005/70 010/85. I presume P and F are "predicted" and "found"
    This refers to procedures for using the Broadcast Winds - P is 'Past' W/V and F is 'Forecast' - If you are plotting the next leg of your course you will need to use the 'Resultant of Past W/Vs (RoP)' for the proportion of the leg up to the last Broadcast, then the Forecast wind for the proportion after the new Broadcast W/V.

The '+' is for a radio fix - I suspect DUFF is for D/F, reasoning is flimsy but when we needed to send a non-exercise radio message in Germany during an exercise (maybe for a road accident or somesuch) we prefixed the call with 'NO DUFF', i.e. don't cheat by using this call to plot my location.

I'll PM a couple of docs that may be of interest.

Richard

Thanks

Thanks Richard. Those clarifications make sense. However, it think “Duff” in this instance refers to the RAF slang for “bad” as in “Duff Gen” and “Duff Met” etc. F/O Seale used the word occasionally in his logbook.

Jim