Thread: Cine gyro circus !!

Thanks

Default Cine gyro circus !!

Hi,

The RAF Tuddenham Station ORB records the arrival of the Cine-Gyro-Circus from RAF Feltwell in November 1944. It states that it was stationed at RAF Newmarket and was used to give crews practice in fighter affiliation.

As anyone of of this before ?

TIA

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default Re: Cine gyro circus !!

Hi Steve,

'V Group News', August 1943:

Gyro Sight Circus
    This long awaited circus came into being this month, a credit to all concerned. The difficulties confronting such a Circus are well realised – operational commitments, unserviceable aircraft, unfit weather and diversions after operations have all been experienced and surmounted and Squadrons are enthusiastic about the results. It must be obvious to all how great can be the benefits of such a Circus at a time when German fighter activity is increasing.
    BURST NURSED
    BOMBER WORSED.
    BURST FIRST
    HUN ‘HEARSED’.
    It can still be said that the outcome of a combat depends largely on who gets in the first accurate burst and gyro camera affiliation practise is the best means of ensuring that it is the gunner in the bomber and not the fighter pilot.
    October 1943:

Gyro Circus and Gyro Assessors in Squadrons – 10 squadrons are now equipped with one assessor each and these should be given full use on each available Fighter Affiliation detail. Extreme care is required with the handling of these delicate instruments.
    Squadrons should not hesitate to approach 1485 Flight for information and assistance in the maintenance and installation of Gyros and are also to ensure that the films are correctly assessed and shown to the air gunners as soon as possible after the exercise.
    The need for such training is made apparent by the Circus on visiting squadrons. Two air gunners recently allowed deflection on the wrong side throughout the shooting and three gunners obtained fewer than ten marks out of a possible twenty.
    November 1943:

Cine Gyro Circus – The circus is now at Fiskerton having spent some five weeks with 50 Squadron (assessing 17 crews). 44 and 57 Squadrons remain to be assessed. Unit co-operation is essential for the Circus to function efficiently and move around the Group quickly. Squadron commander, Flight commanders and Gunnery Leaders can make or break the Circus visit according to the the energy and drive they put into having aircraft and crews ready at the appointed time for the exercise.
    It is realised that weather and operations make it difficult to carry out the flying required, but instances have occurred where the Circus have had to chase individual gunners to have them ready before the exercise started. Difficulties in getting assessments typed up in Squadron Orderly Rooms have also led to delays in forwarding.
    Gunnery Leaders should ensure that each gunner sees his own film and assessment as soon as possible and that a copy of the assessment and the film stay with the Squadron. Any gunner obtaining a poor assessment must be given further practise in the air with the cine gyros held in each squadron. If fighter aircraft are unavailable, 1485 Flt have 2 Martinet a/c available every day (see Air Staff Instruction TRG 17, 29 Nov 43).
    I think the novelty must have worn off after that, as my notes don't record any further mentions.

Cheers,

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 1st June 2021 at 08:07.

Thanks

Steve. I've tried to pm re. this, but your inbox is full......If you can clear it please, I'll try again. Cheers, Andrew

Thanks

Andrew,

Can you email me please. wratting195commonATgmail.com

TIA

Steve

Thanks

Steve. I think I’ve finally worked out which your ‘Cine Gyro Circus’ was from. Looking at “Flying Training and Support Units Since 1912” by Ray Sturtivant with John Hamlin, I’m pretty sure it was No.1688 Bomber (Defence) Training Flight. This unit was formed on 15th February 1943 AT Newmarket and equipped with Spitfire II, and later Hurricane II, aircraft. Interestingly, it apparently moved to Feltwell on 25th March 1945 ad was eventually disbanded on 30th October 1946 at Wyton – having moved there in March of that year....... Cheers, Andrew