Thread: The British Aircraft Circus Flight

Thanks

Default The British Aircraft Circus Flight

I'm wondering if any of the learned people on this forum can tell me anything about this flight, which existed within the AFDU when in was at Fowlmere and was replaced by the Air Fighting Demonstration Squadron (also within the AFDU) on 27/11/42. Its existence is reported briefly “Flying Training and Support Units Since 1912” by Ray Sturtivant with John Hamlin, but I can find little else about it. Any help, as always, will be greatly appreciated. Cheers to all. Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: The British Aircraft Circus Flight

Hi Andrew

Do you mean 1426 (Enemy Aircraft Circus) Flight?

Malcolm

Thanks

Just out of interest there was, in the relatively ‘modern’ era a 38 Grp “Circus”. 38 Grp (and its Army partner/equivalent – 3 Div) were likely to find themselves (in any conflict) in Warsaw Pact (WP) country. There was a ‘travelling circus’ of WP weapons/equipment which did the rounds of all the 38 Grp (and allied) Stations from time to time. There was everything from personal side/arms to medium AA guns (including a variety of the then in-vogue shoulder-launched missiles). There was ammo. You got to strip/reassemble/load/’fire’ a variety of weapons.
    On some joint exercises, where a TA Field Hospital was deployed, we discovered that the young lady Nursing Assts (who’s ‘day job’ was working in a margarine factory) knew more about making the various versions of the AK47 (and other weapons!) “safe” than we did!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Thanks to Malcolm and Peter for your contributions. I'm pretty certain that it wasn't No.1426 (Enemy Aircraft Circus) Flight, Malcolm, but you have got me wondering if it was a kind of 'opposite number' to the Rafwaffe. I think I'm going to have to go to Kew and hope that more information is lurking in the AFDU's ORB........... Cheers for now. Andrew