Thread: Long Shot - Audax Accident Reports Jan 1938 ? F1180 ?

Thanks

Default Long Shot - Audax Accident Reports Jan 1938 ? F1180 ?

All

On January 27, 1938 a two seat 'Bomber Aircraft' from 5 FTS Sealand got in to control problems and the pilot F/O Ronald Edmund Baxter (36055) instructed his pupil Acting P/O Sidney Herbert Lyttle to bail out of the aircraft. Baxter managed to recover the aircraft and land safely at Penrhos Aerodrome, while Lyttle landed safely at Tregarnedd Farm, Dinas near Pwllheli, Lleyn Peninsula, Caernarfonshire.

The aircraft was almost certainly a Hawker Audax (as the other aircraft at 5 FTS at the time were apparently single Seat Fury Fighters). As the aircraft was not damaged I wonder if an accident report was filed and if so was the serial recorded ? I wonder if anyone has the F1180 for the Audax at the time ?

Lyttle was killed the following year in a flying accident

P/O Sidney Herbert Lyttle (flying solo) lost" his life in an accident which occurred near Saffron Walden on June 21 (1939) to an aircraft of No. 29 Squadron. 21-6-1939
    No.29 Sqn.
    Blenheim IF L1504
    Failed to climb after night take-off at Debden and struck trees; destroyed by fire

Thanks Paul

Thanks

Default Re: Long Shot - Audax Accident Reports Jan 1938 ? F1180 ?

Hi Paul, I very much doubt there will be an 1180 if there was no damage to the aircraft. Are you researching the aircraft, the unit or the airmen? There is much written in the press about Ronald Edmund Baxter. Regards Dave.

Thanks

Default Re: Long Shot - Audax Accident Reports Jan 1938 ? F1180 ?

Dave thanks i was after the serial number of aircraft if possible and confirmation of type - the RAF were very keen to take accident/incidence statistics of this type of data so I assume a report would have had to be submitted and maybe a F1180 as engine issues were experienced and a crewman had to jump! I was hoping this was the case !