Thread: 551110 Sgt Francis Alan Barton DFM

Thanks

Default 551110 Sgt Francis Alan Barton DFM

I wonder if anyone has come across the above airman in there research? I am aware that he enlisted as a boy entrant in 1934 and served with No. 78 Squadron as an air gunner from 1940 to 1941. he flew his first op as an LAC on the 25 July 1940 and completed a tour of 33 Ops with 78 Squadron in March 1941. He was gazetted with the DFM on the 9th May 1941 and was MID on the 24th September 1941. I can find no trace of him after his time with No.78 Squadron.

Any assistance appreciated.

Daz

Thanks

Default Re: 551110 Sgt Francis Alan Barton DFM

Daz,
    You might have to go down the long, difficult, civil route. A Francis A Barton crops up several times in FREEBMD, but about the right times!. The Reg Dists for marriage/children births are perilously close to Sywell and Syerston! I apologise if I send you chasing the wrong wild geese up the wrong gum-trees!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

Thanks for the tip. I have worked out that he was a boy entry in 1934 aged 15 and attended the Electrical and Wireless School at Cranwell. This would put his date of birth around 1919.

Regards
    Daz

Thanks

Hello Daz

He's one of my 'local' airmen, born November 4th 1919 at Stockton-on-Tees, died March 22nd 1997, also at Stockton. His D.F.M. was reported in the Newcastle Journal & North Mail of May 9th 1941:

NORTH EAST MEN
    North-Eastern men granted the D.F.M. are 551110 Sergeant Francis Alan Barton, No. 78 Squadron, and 620467 Sergeant Arthur Cowie, No. 10 Squadron.
    Sergeant Barton was born at Stockton in 1919. He was a joiner before enlisting in 1936 as wireless operator air gunner.

The ciattion for his D.F.M. reads as follows:

This N.C.O. Wireless Operator has taken part in 34 raids over enemy territory and in 21 of them has been first W/T Operator. These sorties involved a total of 279 flying hours. His extraordinary skill in working the W /T set under the most difficult and dangerous conditions has on so many occasions been responsible for the success of an operation and for the safe return of the aircraft. His coolness and ingenuity have been his most outstanding characteristic. His never failing keenness to go on an operation and his keenness to train less experienced operators have been a great example to others and have been responsible for the present high standards of efficiency shown by many other operators. His ability caused him to be unhesitatingly to be chosen to go on the "Colossus" operation and once again, he was an outstanding success.

See: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ssus-10-2-1941

And also: http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/...k40/p4941.html

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

Simon,

many thanks for the information regarding birth and death. A slight correction to the Newspaper report in that he joined as a boy entrant at RAF Cranwell Electrical and Wireless School in 1934. He was part of intake 8B1A. He finished his time in the RAF as a Chief Technician. What I am trying to understand is where he went after 78 Squadron and did he fly operationally again or did he go into the instructional side of things and stay there? I have his 34 ops flown with 78 Squadron, between the period 25th July 1940 as an LAC and 10th March 1941 as a Sgt; but can find no reference to him there after. I know he wasn't a POW and clearly didn't die until many years after the war, so where did he go? He was also MID 24th September 1941.

Once again many thanks

Daz