Thread: WO416 Release Update

Thanks

Default WO416 Release Update

Looks like next issue now pushed out till by end July 2021 - was (I am sure previously June 2021)

Cards are arranged in boxes by surnames according to alphabetical groupings, though some cards are mis-filed (e.g. cards for an individual named James Thomas may have been filed as Thomas James). Also, some can be found in pieces with descriptions outside their surname range. Also, occasionally, cards for the same individual can be found in multiple pieces. There is one main alphabetical run by surname (pieces 1-406) and a smaller run (pieces 407-414) arranged by specific nationalities and/or service arm.

With the support of volunteers we are cataloguing pieces 1 to 414 by name of individual (pieces 415-417 cannot be catalogued as these contain cards for unidentified deceased individuals). The records are being catalogued in numerical order by piece with the following current projected completion dates, which may be subject to change:

Pieces 1-51 (Erling Aaby-Cyril Burrows) and 407-414 (various sub-series). All fully catalogued by name.
    Pieces 52-110 (Dennis Burrows-Albert Elliot). All fully catalogued by name.
    Pieces 111-171 (Alexander Elliot-Alec Heggie). All fully catalogued by name.
    Pieces 172-229 (Andrew J Heggie-Charles Lusted). All fully catalogued by name.
    Pieces 230-271 (Frederick Lusted-Edward C Nicholson) by end of July 2021.
    Pieces 272-320 (F W Nicholson-G Scarcliffe) by end of February 2022.
    Pieces 321-370 (Trevor Scard-Thomas Unwin) by end of September 2022.
    Pieces 371-406 (William Urwin-Piotz Zyzmiewski) by end of March 2023.
    Pieces 407-414. All fully catalogued by name.
    With the above information in mind, you may wish to consider our paid research service in pieces not yet catalogued. To request this please go to the relevant piece level information (e.g. WO 416/406) and submit a request for paid research.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C14541141

Thanks

Default Re: WO416 Release Update

PS apparently you can FOI to get some of those closed files before 100 years of age opened

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C16704011

I assume you have to prove date of death ?

Thanks

Default Re: WO416 Release Update

Hi Paul

I was able to obtain copies of several cards under an FOI request. These were for deceased airmen whose deaths had been notified but whose bodies were not recovered after the war. I was able to prove that they were dead by copying the CWGC information on each (They are commemorated at Runnymede). I was not required to supply the date of death (even though I knew). For these airmen the information is on pre-printed cards identical to the KE cards held in the casualty files at Northolt. The information is quite scant consisting of nationality, name, rank, number and place and date of death (not burial as on the Totenlisten). For these men the word Tod (dead) was underlined.

Kind Regards

Mike