Thread: Service details on F/Lt Tadeusz Sikorski RAF & PAF 303 Sqn

Thanks

Default Service details on F/Lt Tadeusz Sikorski RAF & PAF 303 Sqn

Hi All, can anyone help with service details on F/Lt Tadeusz Sikorski please. Info I have is that he was born 11 March 1917 and joined the RAF in March 1942, his RAF number at that time was 704088 he later transferred to the PAF and was given the number P.2352. I found him flying Spitfires with 303 Squadron from February 1945 and later Mustangs, but nothing was found between March 42 - Feb 45, so does anyone know where he was during this period? He survived the war. Regards. Dave.

Thanks

Default Re: Service details on F/Lt Tadeusz Sikorski RAF & PAF 303 Sqn

Hello,
    Probably not what you’re looking for, however the 704088 is his original Polish Air Force service number. This number would indicate that he originally entered the PAF as “enlisted” personnel. Once commission as an officer he received a new service number, P.2352. Taking into consideration the date of enlistment, March 1942, and based on other known PAF personnel with similar service numbers (704001 to 704099 range), I would guess that he was most likely one off the following;

1. Managed to survive deportation by the Russians from Poland to Siberia (deportations started in 1939). Once released (after the Germans invaded Russia) he would have made his way to England (via Persia, India, South African) as part of Polish Army personnel who volunteered for service in the Air Force or Navy.

or,

2. Managed to escape from Poland in 1939, and eventually found his way to the Polish Army forming in the Middle East. After taking part in the North African campaign, he would have volunteered for the Polish Air Force.
    I believe he passed away 25.04.2006 in Pwllheli, Wales.

Take care,
    Mieszko

Thanks

Default Re: Service details on F/Lt Tadeusz Sikorski RAF & PAF 303 Sqn

Thanks Mieszko, I appreciate your help. I used to have a friend in Glasgow that could access Polish records from the Sikorski Institute but he passed away some years ago and the museum now charge the earth for searches of records whether they find anything or not. Best Regards. Dave.