Thread: Bomb Aimer's Form 3073B

Thanks

Default Bomb Aimer's Form 3073B

Hello,

In the book, “Arming for Accuracy: RAF Bomb Aimers During the Second World War” - Colin Pateman · 2021, the author makes mention of a form that all bomb aimers completed and turned into the bombing leader upon return.

"All of the actions taken in preparation for the actual bombing were documented on what was known as form 3073B…” pg 163.

I was wondering if anyone had a copy of said form that they would be willing to share?

Thank you.

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Default Re: Bomb Aimer's Form 3073B

Hello All,

was able to find a sample. Available at https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0-9QOYS7jeon1I if interested.

M
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Various versions Form 3073 have appeared on the internet, including eBay and all seemed to differ depending on the year. Nice to see one completed. I did have a plotting office guide from 1949 but have never heard it referred to in a wartime context, I assume it was little different.

As practice bombing was surprisingly frequent, despite the lack of mention in most ORB's, there must have been thousands of these forms in circulation but the low quality paper used may not have been conducive to long term storage in personal collections. There was also a Quadrant record form which I think was 511 but these probably were destroyed post war at some point along with all the range log books.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PNK For This Useful Post:

anglin.mj (1st July 2021)

Thanks

Thanks PNK,

it appears from notation in upper right that this version was for school use in training. I’m still on the hunt for a operational Sqn version.

in addition t9 the book detailed I the original post, the author also speaks about it on this podcast http://ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/14...bPIUeUbZ0DEgI8 .

I have no vested interest in the book/podcast. Just sharing the info for those interested.

Mike
    Last edited by anglin.mj; 1st July 2021 at 17:34.
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada

Thanks

Something was nagging me about this and on looking through my box of original documents I found a 1939 version of the form for the 11.5lb practice bomb. I hadn't scanned it yet as it is about 18" long and almost A4 wide but we have a new scanner that you can feed documents through so if that works I will put it on Dropbox.

Thanks

PNK,

That would be fantastic. Much appreciated!

Burnermja@gmail.com when you have the opportunity.

Thanks again!

Mike
    Mike Anglin

Barrie, Canada