Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghouse

Thanks

Default American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghouse

Iím hoping someone may be able to help with some information on an American pilot who flew with the raf in ww2 by the name of George T Westinghouse I know he was awarded an Italy star and was mentioned to fly beaufighters it also seems from his medals he was awarded the kings medal for the cause of freedom any help or information on his service career squadrons etc and why he was awarded the kings medal would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou in advance for any help, kindest regards Nick

Thanks

Default Re: American ww2 raf pilot kings medal for the cause of freedom , George T Westinghou

22crafkit,

All that that the LG coughs up is:

G T Westinghouse
    2 Dec 1946 Commission (RAFVR GD Branch) Resigned as Flt Lt

So he must have been Commissioned (and Promoted), but I'm not clever enough to make the LG produce the details!! If he got gongs they're not shown.

HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: American ww2 raf pilot kings medal for the cause of freedom , George T Westinghou

Hello

His full name seems to be George Thomas Westinghouse, and his Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate is on ancestry.co.uk and has the following:

Date: 4th May 1937

Address: 24 Gloucester Square, London W2

Born: 27th April 1911 at Pittsburgh

Rank, Regiment or Profession: North West Air Service

I'm guessing its this chap?

https://dmairfield.org/people/westinghouse_gt/index.htm

Regards

Simon
    Researching R.A.F. personnel from the North East of England

Thanks

His RAF Service Number was 119855 – but the LG only gives 1 hit for that!
    119854, and 119856, on the LG, give some “interesting names”. Looks like ‘they’ might have collected a group of ‘unusuals' and Commissioned them at the same time?
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hi Peter,

If you scroll down, you'll see what purports to be his uniform.

https://www.vintageflyinghelmets.com/new-items

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thankyou everyone for your help so far , thereís some new information on him for sure , Iíve been lucky to acquire the uniform in question and like to find out as much history as I can , the medal award is so unusual I thought , hopefully there is more information out there on him yet , itís quite unusual I think for an American to stay in the raf when a lot of them transferred to the usaaf when they came in to the war.

Thanks

Does anybody know what the first date was for those 3 medal ribbons (the image has been removed!) to have been 'legal' on a No 1 HD jacket - AND what was tha last date the brass "VR" tabs were worn on the lapels of ditto? Just thinking!
    HTH
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello Peter I know that vrs were worn on uniforms until the late 1940s and the kings medal for the cause of freedom wasnít introduced until I think august 1945 , I would love to know what he did to get that itís an unusual award to the raf .
    kind regards Nick

Thanks

Default Re: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghous

I have come across George Westinghouse before in my research. He was mentioned to me many years ago by a former Spitfire pilot who knew him. He was of the American Westinghouse electrical appliance family (Westinghouse refrigerators, washing machines etc). He was on Cyprus in 1944, either with 294 Sqn detachment flying Walrus Air Sea Rescue or, with 680 Sqn flying Spitfire Photo Recconaisance. Looking at the fuzzy photo of him on one of the links, it appears to be him. I have mentions of him in some correspondence filed away somewhere, and a fuzzy photo somewhere of him posing with others in the cockpit of a Walrus of 294.
    Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: American WW2 RAF pilot Kings Medal for the cause of Freedom, George T Westinghous

Thankyou for responding to the post , if you could find your correspondence filed away and let me know any information that would be great , at least Iíve got two squadrons to go on now , maybe the kings commendation medal has something to do with Air Sea Rescue work ??
    thanks again hope to hear from you soon Nick