Thanks

Default Gauntlet II K5323 & K7818 Collison 23.02.37 - 32 Squadron

All

I am going through my parachute files and I have this incident

on 23.02.37 two 32 Squadron Gauntlet's K5323 & K7818 Collided

both pilots escaped by parachute, they were

P/O Guy "Little Guy" Harris
    Pilot Sergeant Maxwell Hugh Hooper 363976

But I do not know who was on which aircraft? can anyone provide an allocation ?

Many Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Default Re: Gauntlet II K5323 & K7818 Collison 23.02.37 - 32 Squadron

Hooper K7818
    Harris K5323

All Hooper detail scored out on the F1180 so looks like CofI blamed Harris. States attacking aircraft lost sight of target and did not break away.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2024 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross thanks - this kind of ties in with Harris's own comments - but he does try to move the blame slightly

Home Run: Great RAF Escapes of World War II
    By Richard Townshend Bickers Page 6

"Guy says that it surpassed even the day, some two years before, when he had 'flown a Gloster Gauntlet into the target aircraft, another Gauntlet, while practising a No 1 Attack'. He omits to mention that the accident was not his fault, but an error of judgment by his flight commander, who, making a dummy attack immediately before him, did not leave him enough room to break away. 'On that occasion I had found myself hurtling backwards through the air until I realized that I had to pull the ripcord. Having done this, I was very relieved to see another parachute away down below me, which meant that Flight Sergeant Hooper, the pilot of the target aircraft, was safe.'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    Ross thanks - this kind of ties in with Harris's own comments - but he does try to move the blame slightly

Home Run: Great RAF Escapes of World War II
    By Richard Townshend Bickers Page 6

"Guy says that it surpassed even the day, some two years before, when he had 'flown a Gloster Gauntlet into the target aircraft, another Gauntlet, while practising a No 1 Attack'. He omits to mention that the accident was not his fault, but an error of judgment by his flight commander, who, making a dummy attack immediately before him, did not leave him enough room to break away. 'On that occasion I had found myself hurtling backwards through the air until I realized that I had to pull the ripcord. Having done this, I was very relieved to see another parachute away down below me, which meant that Flight Sergeant Hooper, the pilot of the target aircraft, was safe.'
    I think I can clear this up as Maxwell Hooper was my grandfather. You might expect that the family story is that Grandad was the innocent party, but I have a memento of the occasion that seems to back that up. I have inherited a small wooden block, with a brass plate and a parachute D ring surrounding it, with the long tail of the 'chute cable. The brass plate is inscribed -

Souvenirs

Piece of propellor - brass
    petrol pipe - parachute
    release cord
    Gauntlet II K7818
    P/Sgt M H Hooper
    rammed in mid-air 10,000ft
    by A/P/O B Harris in
    Gauntlet II K5325

Apparently Harris was demonstrating how to dive down from above and behind an aircraft, got it wrong, and took that tail of grandad's aircraft. I believe there was a newspaper report based on ground witnesses, but I'm not sure which paper - presumably a local Kent one?

Thanks

Threepointdift

Thanks for your post always good to get information like this from relatives - nice detail to the story - I never thought it was your grandfathers fault - 100% on Harris though he did try to move the blame slightly ! As relative you should be able to get your grandfathers application form for caterpillar club as Next Of Kin Private message me for info if you are interested Paul