Thread: Was a 'Yew-Tree' a Type of Mine?

Thanks

Default Was a 'Yew-Tree' a Type of Mine?

Hi all. I raise this merely out of curiosity.......

An entry in No.50 Squadron's ORB for 6-7th September 1940 refers to aircraft being detailed to drop "yew-trees" in the alloted area during a Gardening sortie. I know that each Gardening area was given a code-name, and that the code-name "Yew Tree" was allocated to the Kattegat (Lęsų channel), but the reference in this archive is clearly to a weapon - as it states that, because the aircraft were unable to locate the target area, "The 'tree' was brought back to base". It seems odd to me that the same code-name was used for both a target and a type of weapon, but this must be the case as the same ORB makes other references to the planting of "yew-trees" although, frustratingly, it doesn't specify the area in which the Gardening was to carried out.

I just though that this might be worth bringing up here, to see if anyone could explain.

Cheers to all.

Andrew

Thanks

Default Re: Was a 'Yew-Tree' a Type of Mine?

Laeso Island, 6 Sep 1940 4 Hampden sorties 3 mines laid, next sorties to area 15 May 1942 3 Lancaster sorties 10 mines laid, what are the other Yew tree dates?

Thanks

I suspect this was an error in the entry by the individual who wrote the ORB. I suspect this was a mining site “yew tree” rather than a mine type. It’s early in the war and the officer who wrote the entry was not correctly informed. Just my guess.

Jim

Thanks

I thought that at first ,Jim, but I'm so not sure now, especially if there were other 'yew-tree operations in 1942. I'll have a closer look at the ORB & see if there are any more clues / dates....

Thanks

Well, I think I've answered my own question! It is down to the wording used. The following are quotes from the same ORB, for the night of 20-21 March 1941: "This aircraft was detailed to plant a vegetable in the Artichoke Area." and "This aircraft set out to plant an Artichoke....." So, although it seems to me that the wording is perhaps a bit odd, we can conclude that the 'yew-trees' referred to in my previous post were just standard mines dropped in the Yew-Tree area..........

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewClark For This Useful Post:

JDCAVE (5th November 2023)