Thread: Assistance with number and christian names

Thanks

Default Assistance with number and christian names

I am trying to confirm the identities of all those who flew with 78 Squadron and am struggling with a number of these, is anybody able to offer any information on any of the following

SGT T K MOODIE WAG - Flew with 78 Squadron from 15th March to 8th August 1941, completing a total of 20 ops. His initials vary from T C to T K in the Squadron ORB. I have looked at AIR 78 and can find no T K Moodie or T C Moodie.I have also checked POW registers, Awards databases, AIR 81 files and CWGC, all of which have drawn a blank.

Many thanks

Daz

Thanks

Default Re: Assistance with number and christian names

Daz,
    Sorry, I’ve had no luck with T K Moodie either. He’s not in all the places I normally look (LG, FREEBMD, etc, etc.).
    Best I can offer you is:-

Thomas Gibson Moodie, b. Q3 1894 (45 at WW2 start), or
    Thomas S Moodie, b. Q3 1914 (25 ditto).

(both from FREEBMD).
    I haven’t looked in Scotland – or in the Commonwealth(?).
    But I am getting an increasing feeling in my water that somewhere along the way (either typewriter, or morse key) your man suffered some serious QSD?
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default Re: Assistance with number and christian names

Peter

I think you are right, about the QSD, it is consistent throughout the ORB though, he is either shown as T. K. or T. C.

Of the 3,600 or so aircrew that I have identified as having flown operationally with 78 Squadron, Iím down to less than 200 for whom I donít have names or numbers. I did come across a swathe of entries where the compiler of the ORB used to use the letter L for the individuals initial whenever they didnít know the correct one, very frustrating.

The biggest issue is the fact that the Squadron only recorded officers in detail at the start of the war, SNCO aircrew were simply referred to by volume, e.g. 10 pilots, 5 Observers etc., then in the crew list they are just shown as Sgt Brown, Sgt Jones, no initials and no service numbers.

Thanks for trying, Iíll keep plugging away at it.

Daz