Thread: F/L or S/L Armstrong, Intelligence Officer, Middleton St. George.

Thanks

Default F/L or S/L Armstrong, Intelligence Officer, Middleton St. George.

I am looking for any information on a F/L or S/L Armstrong, Intelligence Officer, Middleton St. George. I have the briefing notes for MSG and they are often signed by by an individual named Armstrong. The signature suggests either F/L or S/L, in cursive.

Dad comments on the briefing to Dresden as follows:

“And the briefing went on—it was a very, very long briefing. It started off with, coming in with, the new Air Commodore, Air Commodore Dunlap, was there and he introduced the thing and of course it went to the Chief Intelligence Officer, an elderly gentleman, who gave us a very beautiful description of the wonderful old city of Dresden we were going to visit. It really shook everybody when we saw the penetration because it was beyond Berlin…We came into the briefing and saw this great big long line stretching for bloody miles…”

I do not know if he was RCAF or RAF, attached to MSG. A Permanent Forces type or volunteer. Any information on him most welcome, especially rank and date of birth.

Jim

Thanks

Default Re: F/L or S/L Armstrong, Intelligence Officer, Middleton St. George.

Hello,

A possibility for your "Air Commodore Dunlap":

https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/search-awards - Enter Dunlap in Search Keyword box, hit Search, then (click to view).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Dunlap

Might help in identifying Armstrong.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 12th November 2023 at 01:57.

Thanks

Default Re: F/L or S/L Armstrong, Intelligence Officer, Middleton St. George.

Thanks Col. Yes, Dunlap (Dad called him Dunlop) was the last Air Marshall of the RCAF. He was the Base Commander at MSG. Dad was quite fond of him. I found an entry in the ORB for 64-Base which records an interesting meeting on the morning of February 13, 1945.

“A parade of all officers of Middleton St. George was held in the N.A.A.F.I. at 0915 hours. The Base Commander [A/C Dunlap ] spoke on matters of discipline and deportment, pointing out their importance and requesting all to ensure that they did their part in maintaining a high standard in this respect. Following this he addressed F/Lt’s and above stressing their responsibility in displaying example and asked that they correct and aid junior officers whenever it was apparent that such action was indicated.”

64-Base ORB. February 13, 1945. https://heritage.canadiana.ca/view/o...28/379?r=0&s=2

Dad also liked A/C McBurney.

I suspect that finding anything out about Armstrong will be a bit more difficult.

Jim