Thread: RAF F543 - Help!

Thanks

Default RAF F543 - Help!

Hi,

I know that there is a copious amount of information on here and elsewhere about the codes used on the RAF F5453 during WW2, but I am having difficulty with a number of acronyms that are on the records of the mother of a friend of mine who joined the WAAF as an orderly in 1941.

The first is "A" 3 ACRC (PP) where she was posted on 1 Mar 44. I know No 1 Air Crew Receiving/Reception Centre was at Lords cricket ground in London, but what about 3 ACRC? Might it be No 3 Recruit Centre at Padgate?

Next: HQ(U) 87 Wing and HQ(U) Delegation France in 1946. I know the RAF sent a delegation to France in 1946 to assist the French Air Force get up and running again but I am confused about the HQ(U) bit and the 87 Wing.

Finally, in Mar 1947 she is posted to 7AMS (might be TAMS).
    I have no idea what this might be.

Any help, hints, steers would be very gratefully accepted

Many thanks

Steve Randles

Thanks

Default Re: RAF F543 - Help!

Welcome to the forum

Sturtivant RAF Flying Training and Support Units Since 1912 has

"3 Air Crew Reception Centre
    Formed 1942 or 1943, at Regents Park London;
    1.4.44 reorganised into Nos 30 to 34 Reception and Classification Wings;
    Disbanded 8.44."

"No 87 Wing
    [snip pre-war]
    (3) Reformed 15.7.46 ex No. 87 Group as No.87 (Transport) Wing at Chateau La Jonchere, Bougival, nr Paris;
    Disbanded into RAF Delegation (France) 26.8.46
    [snip Comms Flight a/craft list]"

No entry for RAF Delegation (France) that I could spot.

No listing for AMS/TAMS that I could spot.

The (U) term is not part of a Unit title, it refers to the person's posting type, as (Unattached). Someone else can explain that...

There may be an entry for RAF Delegation (France) in the Members Area of member Malcolm Barrass Air of Authority RAFWeb.org site but could not spot that either, you could ask him direct via his malcolm_RAF member page here https://www.rafcommands.com/forum/me...52-malcolm_raf

best wishes with the WAAF service work
    Last edited by Don Clark; 24th November 2023 at 21:28.
    Toujours propos

Thanks

Might the term (U) referred to above perhaps indicate "Unit", in the sense that the unit concerned was a personnel pool only (that is, providing pay, messing and accommodation, as well as an "address"). Those personnel marked with (U) may well indicate that they were PERMANENT members of the unit, which would differentiate them from bulk of personnel on strength, who would be temporarily unemployed ("between courses or postings"), but not "Non-effectives? Just a thought.

Thanks

Nice leads. Thank you both.