Thread: Form 'F' Fighter Command Combat Report

Thanks

Default Form 'F' Fighter Command Combat Report

I have a copy of this form, sent by 13 Group Intelligence to Fighter Command on 10 May 1940, which describes two successful combats in the vicinity of Wick by 43 and 605 Squadrons around midday on 9 May. Unfortunately I cannot recall how I acquired it, but know it was in 2014. There is a hand-written A.M. Historical Records across the top of the form.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise which series of NA files the form would be archived in.

Brian

Thanks

Default Re: Form 'F' Fighter Command Combat Report

Thanks

Much obliged Dave, thank you.
    Brian

Edit.

Having searched through the options Dave I'm not sure that's the series. What I have is a narrative of two separate incidents by 13 Group Intelligence; it does not include any names, but is far more detailed than individual combat reports. The report starts with a brief summary of the weather and disposition of the RAF and Luftwaffe aircraft involved. The only identifiers are the squadron numbers, 43 and 605 plus the the Flights in action ('A' in both cases). The whole narrative runs to three pages.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 26th November 2023 at 07:32.

Thanks

I think I've found the file, AIR16/954, but unfortunately one has to visit the NA to access it. I only wish I could recall the circumstances the copy came to me.

Thanks

I’m surprised there are no ORB appendices listed for fighter command squadrons and where these might be given. Combat reports for Bomber Command Squadrons are in appendices that are downloadable from TNA. Not the case for fighter command squadrons, it seems.

Jim

Thanks

I have the combat reports, Jim, but the 13 Group Intelligence narrative is far more comprehensive, gathering together RDF reports, a weather summary, the combat reports themselves plus additional information from the pilots' debriefs. The narrative puts a different slant on the account by one of the pilots involved as described in Ian Piper's We Never Slept - The Story of No 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron, published in 1996, not the least being that two Dornier 17s were shot down in the space of a few minutes, not just the one I'd originally believed.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks Brian. I have also found the 11-Group narratives useful in understanding the fighter cover provided by Group to Bomber Command daylight formations for some of dad’s operations. They provide a more fulsome understanding of what was going on around dad during his operations.

I think examining the historical source documents is critical in our research. Veterans’ accounts are often based on unreliable memories. My dad’s accounts are examples of this and the source documents reveal the actual historical events are much more complex.

Jim
    Last edited by JDCAVE; 26th November 2023 at 17:34.

Thanks

Thank you Jim, I appreciate exactly what you mean and like you I think it is important to access the historical source documents.

Brian