Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AUS407420 F/Lt E.M.FROST RAAF - 113 Sqn.

Thanks

Default AUS407420 F/Lt E.M.FROST RAAF - 113 Sqn.

Hello,

On 15-3-1944, whilst returning from ops, AUS407420 F/Lt Ernest Martin FROST RAAF, had to bale out of his No.113 Sqn Hurricane IIC, in the vicinity of Kohima, Burma.

Norman Franks, in 'The Air Battle of Imphal' (pp.46-7), mentions this incident, but does not record the serial of Frost's Hurricane. Franks omits mention of this incident in his Loss List, on pp.211-16.

Would anyone know the serial of Frost's Hurricane IIC?

To help, here is a list of representative, No.113 Sqn Hurricane IIC serials:

HL886; HV644 D; HW666; HW881 X; KZ356; KZ785 K; KW829; LA131 E; LB557 F; LB990; LD107 C; LD404 A and LD964 B.

I have checked:

http://113squadron.com/home_of_113_squadron.htm

Any help appreciated,

Col.

Thanks

Hello Col,
    LB859 - control lost in storm, abandoned 30 miles SW of Dimapur (what may have been in the Kohima area ??).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

Frost, and four of his colleagues were returning to Diampur and ran into stormy weather. One airman made an emergency landing and three made it back to Diampur. Frost baled out over Kohima (which is approx. 30 miles SW of Diampur). LB859, undoubtedly Frost's aircraft.

Thanks for your help,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd January 2010 at 20:49.

Thanks

Default re AUS407420 F/Lt E.M.FROST RAAF - 113 Sqn

I can confirm the above details. I am Ern Frost's daughter and came across your blog accidentally. My father passed away 4 months ago and I have his flying log book and a report of the incident.

They show the serial number LB859, and the entry in the log book for 15 March is "Palel - Dimapur", with the comment "hit storm. Instruments u/s - baled out". He took 2 days to walk back towards camp, doing the last section to Dimapur by train. He was in hospital until 21 March.

The forced landing report states:

"F/Lt Frost was leading a formation of 12 aircraft to Dimapur from Palel, where they had been carrying out A.S.C. duties. He called up and asked his position, and was told he was 36 miles south of base. He was at this time at 17,000 and immediately afterwards he began to lose height through a bank of cumulo-nimbus cloud. Owing to the density of the cloud and the extreme turbulance experienced, the formation became separated. F/Lt Frost did not return to base."

Kind regards

Thanks

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Forum.

Firstly, may I offer my condolences on the death of your father.

Under the circumstances, the accounts of F/Lt Frost's bale-out, are much appreciated.

F/Lt Frost's bale out, and his admittance to the 'Caterpillar Club', is recorded in the two standard references on the subject:

A.

R.A.A.F. Personnel who are members of the Caterpillar Club.

Date: 15-3-44
    Name: F/Lt E.M.Frost
    Where landed: ?

See:
    Ripcord Australia.
    Johnson,W.W.(Bill).
    Eastwood:A.C.P.A.,1984
    p.91

B.

WWII RAAF Caterpillar Club Members.

Name:Frost, E.M.
    Date: 15-3-44
    Place of descent: Not known.

See:
    Australian Airborne:The History and Insignia of Australian Military Parachuting.
    O'Connor,John.
    Kingsgrove:Author,2005
    p. 321

As you can see, both mentions are a bit light on detail, so the first-hand account is most welcome.

It is recorded here:

http://113squadron.com/id25.htm

that your late father, whilst on his first operation with No.238 Squadron in the Middle East, was forced to crash-land his Hurricane, after receiving gunshot wounds to his left leg. Apparently this incident took place on 20-7-1942.

Does your Father's Log Book record an aircraft (Hurricane) serial for this incident?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query.

Regards,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 21st January 2010 at 06:32.

Thanks

Default Frost - Hurricanes

Hi

According to Dad's log book, the incident was on 19 July 1942 near El Alamein, when he was shot up, wounded in the leg (left knee), and force landed. The entry reads "Mc 202s. Hit in glycol - belly landed". There is no actual serial number listed against his Hurricane for that date, just the letters KC-D.

Incidentally, he had a similar experience on 23 November 1941 on his first patrol after he arrived in North Africa.

By the way, can you explain what the term "Strawberry" means?

Cheers
    Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Apologies, I was mislead by the 113 Squadron website mentioned earlier and the National Archives of Australia.

The events of 23 November 1941 (pp.67-8), and 19 July 1942 (pp.148-9), are recorded in Fighters Over The Desert, pretty much as your Father's log book described them. Fighters Over The Desert is in diary form, making it a simple process to locate an entry, if you have a date, but it lacks an index making it difficult to find individual entries otherwise. Let me know if you would like the entries posted here.

Thanks for clarifying the situation.

The term, "Strawberry", or "Strawb", in an Australian context, was/is used as a nick-name or a form of address by males, to friends or mates. It is/was a term of endearment. Origins? I haven't the foggiest!

Thanks for your help,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 26th January 2010 at 13:21.

Thanks

Default 113 History

Hi

Just looked in my sqn book for 113 and he was really unlucky to be flying out of Dimapur because they moved to Tulihal on 17 March 1944! I can type up the rest of the entry if you want.....

Dee

Thanks

Hi Dee,

Go for it! Every little bit helps.

Col.

Thanks

Hurricane lost 19-7-1942 may have been II.B serial BN524 - ME, SOC as DBR on ops., NFD.
    Regards,
    Henk.