Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 430522 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 22-5-1943

Thanks

Aha, that's the fellow! Thanks Resmoroh.

Segards

Simon

Thanks

AC2 George A. GREENHAM - 1669758 - accidental death, went to Gloucester to spend 36 hours leave, and fell from the window of his room at a Church Army Hostel and broke his neck.
    (Gloucester Citizen, 1 June 1943)

Martyn

Thanks

Default A little bit of help...

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Just a quick update on Typhoon EK216. The pilot was Harry Jenson Morson, DFM (not Marson) of West Hartlepool. He had won his award with 115 Sqn in 1940 for his actions in the loss of Wellington T2509. He was badly burned in the force landing of EK216, and became one of Sir Archibald McIndoe's 'Guinea Pigs', receiving an honourable discharge in 1944 on medical grounds. He died in 1987.If anyone can give me a Service Number for Morson, I'd be most grateful.RegardsSimon
    Hello,

Harry Jenson Morson was my Great Uncle, I'm just wondering if you have anymore information on him or his squad?

Regards

Jessica

Thanks

Default typo

Hello Jessica

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for posting your query.

I've done a little research on your Great Uncle, and here's what I have:

Born April 2nd 1919 at 6, Girvan Terrace, West Hartlepool. Died at Hartlepool General Hospital on October 6th 1987, aged 68

Before becoming a Typhoon pilot, he had served with 115 Squadron, as a Wellington bomber pilot. His D.F.M. was gazetted (i.e. announced) in the London Gazette of December 17th 1940, and the citation reads as follows:
    754197, Sergeant Harry Jenson Morson. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 115 Squadron.

644695, Sergeant Desmond Hubert Howard Cleverley, No. 115 Squadron.

In November, 1940, Sergeant Morson was the captain and Sergeant Cleverley the wireless operator of an aircraft which successfully attacked a target in the vicinity of Berlin.

On the return journey, intense anti-aircraft fire was encountered over Hamburg, which caused damage to the aircraft and set the starboard engine on fire. In spite of this, Sergeant Morson set a direct course for base, which necessitated flying across the Heligoland Bight and, although many difficulties were overcome, he was unable to maintain height and was finally forced down into the sea. With great skill and devotion to duty Sergeant Cleverley maintained full wireless communication, keeping his base constantly informed of the position.

He was undoubtedly responsible for the successful rescue action, which was subsequently taken.
    Sergeant Morson has completed 13 and Sergeant Cleverley 23 successful operational flights and both have displayed great skill, courage and determination.

His local newpaper, the Northern Daily Mail (the previous name of the Hartlepool Mail), of December 4th 1940 reported the following:

PRESENTATION
    Sergt-Pilot H. J. Morson, who was recently awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal, was presented with an inscribed sliver cigarette case at a ceremony at the West Hartlepool Post Office, where Sergt. Morson was previously a sorting clerk and telegraphist. In making the presentation, the head-postmaster said it was a token of goodwill and appreciation from his colleagues at the Post Office.

The Wellington in question was Wellington 1c serial number T2509, which carried the squadron codes KO-W of 115 Squadron.

A family tree on ancestry.co.uk had the following:

Harry joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve 1938 and was mobilised 1 September 1939. He attained rank of Sergeant Pilot. Flying a Wellington, he was shot down and crashed in the North Sea after a bombing raid on Berlin on 15 November 1940 and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal. (This is described in a bit more detail in "The Wellington Bomber" by Chaz Bowyer.) Resuming duty as a test pilot, he crashed in flames on Criffel (Dumfries) in a Typhoon* when both engines [sic - the Typhoon is a single-engined fighter] failed on 24 May 1943. He was treated at East Grinstead RAF burns unit as one of Sir Archibald McIndoe's early "Guinea Pigs" before being honourably discharged on medical grounds in 1944.

Regards

Simon

Columbia, Missouri, USA (formerly Hertfordshire, England)
    Thanks

Default Re: 430522 - Unaccounted airwoman and airmen - 22-5-1943

Quote Originally Posted by COL BRUGGY View Post
    Henk,

Typhoon IB - EK216 - 18 MU.

APPENDIX 4. Losses - Typhoons.

Date: 22 May 1943
    Unit: 18 MU
    Aircraft: EK216
    Pilot: W/O H J Marson
    Circumstances: Engine failure, force-landed near Dalbeatie.

See: The Typhoon & Tempest Story/Thomas & Shores. p.197

I have no further information on AUS409336 F/Sgt William Robertson SWAN RAAF, other than what is presented here. There appears to be only the two casualties, no others are mentioned in Swan's Item Notes. There is one minor mystery. Most unusually, Swan is buried in a Joint grave (Sec.G 2/5410). The other occupant is, 136019 F/O (Pilot) Francis Eric HAMILTON RAFVR. No.165 Sqn. + 20-1-1944. Possibly a relative. Swan is the only RAAF airman buried in this cemetery.

Col.

I am the grandson of Eric Hamilton Francis. His son, my father, was a war baby and put up for adoption when he was born. I do not have much information on my grandfather, but I do not believe that he was a relative of Swan's. I can stand to be corrected. We have visited the grave a couple of times, but I now live in the US, so I do not get home often and wondered myself why they share a grave.

If there is any more information on my grandfather that can be shared, we'd be very appreciative.